1.

╔══════════════╗chapter one ╚══════════════╝

╔══════════════╗
chapter one
╚══════════════╝

People always say that there is peace in nature. It can be considered a coping mechanism for mental and stressful barriers.  The soft breezes of the wind, small clatters of the critters, and the sun shining between the branches. It can quiet the mind but enhance the the person's senses. At least, that's what most of the population believes anyway.

Killian Swan is not within that group of people.

After spending three years trapped in that constant peril while feeding on the blood of those same critters, he was ready to be inserted back into civilization. He was ready for five o'clock traffic, over priced gas prices, and even the idiocy of people. Which is why he has been trapped inside of his car for the last twelve hours.

After returning to his military base three years after disappearing, Killian Swan was released from his duties. Under the rules and regulations of becoming a prisoner of war, he was set to return home to the cloudy town of Forks, Washington.  It wasn't a difficult decision on where he would be returning to. If there was a choice between the misty town or the summer sun of Arizona, he still would have chosen to return to his father. The fact that he can hide in plain sight did slightly help his decision.

He has been on the phone with his father repeatedly throughout the trip to give updates on how far out he was. He did have to lie to the Chief about the reasoning on his stopping a few times every couple of hours. While his father thought he stopped for sleep or gas, Killian was pulled off to the side of the road to take a hike in the woods to find his lunch.

Charlie Swan has been in a spiral of anxiety and dread every time there was a knock on the door or a phone call to announce that they have found his son's body or they have given up on the search for him. Charlie and Bella never gave up on the belief that he was still alive and out there some where, unlike Renee who had a funeral with an empty casket one year after he was reported missing in action.

Killian watched out for the white two story home that was coming up. He still knew his way throughout the small town, and he was thankful that it did not seem like anything had changed. With all the changes that was forced on him the past three years, he needed some normalcy. Once his father's home came into view, he was quick to park his car once he saw the cruiser sitting in the driveway. Taking a deep breath in through his nose, Killian refused to let it go to help with his undying thirst that he was afraid would come crawling up once he was inside.

Before he could even jump out of his Jeep, the front door slammed open with Charlie Swan running as fast as he could down the steps to reach his son. From here, Killian could see the tears in his father's eyes.