Happy Birthday

Whizzer had been in the hospital for almost a month, and his birthday was getting closer and closer, and honest to god, he was dreading it.

He looked over to the calendar in his room. His birthday was two days away. Two days. He could fucking die in those next two days, and never see his thirty-sixth birthday.

But he didn't. He didn't die in the few days before the day when everyone would celebrate that he was one year closer to death, but hell, who knew when he would die because he was so sick it could happen any day.

Would they celebrate? With Whizzer in their lives less, what if they forget? Could they possibly forget Whizzer's birthday?

He didn't want to know. He just wanted to see what would happen. If they forgot, then so be it. It's not like he could have a party anyway.

Whizzer shut his eyes and rolled onto his side, falling asleep peacefully for the first time in ages.

Happy Birthday, Whizzer! Everyone cheered. He was dreaming. Dreaming that he was healthy again, and that he was surrounded by his friends and family. They were having a party. Cordelia had made plenty of delicious food, Marvin had Whizzer's camera and was taking photos. There were plenty of presents, and Marvin was holding Whizzer's hands, standing in front of him. He got on one knee, and pulled out a small, velvet box. Whizzer, will you marry me? Marvin asked. Oh, yes, yes, yes! Of course!

His dream didn't last long. He slept the whole night, but he only had one dream. That dream. That wonderful dream.

When the clock struck midnight, there was one day left. Thirty-six. Jesus.

He was woken gently by Marvin. That made him so happy. It was like when he was well. Being carefully woken by a soft kiss before Marvin left for work...

Oh, how he missed it. He would probably never get to experience it again. Whizzer knew he was going to die. It wasn't a question. His day to go was nearing, and he wasn't so sure when his life would come to a halt and his story would end suddenly.

"Good morning, Whizzer." Marvin said softly. To Whizzer, his lover's voice was like a birdsong on a summer morning, or gentle rain in autumn. It was perfect.

"Morning, Marv." He smiled weakly up at his lover.

"I've got somethin' I wanna say to you, Whiz." Marvin said, sitting down on Whizzer's bed. "I've loved you for so long. I'll never stop loving you. I want you to be mine, forever and always. So..." He pulled out a small velvet box.

Whizzer gasped. It looked just like the one in his dream.

"Will you marry me? I- I know we can't exactly legally get married, but... there's ways."

The younger broke into sobs. "Oh, yes, yes, yes!! How could I say no?!"

Marvin smiled at him. Whizzer pulled Marvin close and kissed him as passionately as a dying man could, before Marvin broke the kiss to put a ring on his man.

They laid together for a few hours, talking quietly. Marvin read book out loud to Whizzer.

It felt like he was at home again.

It felt like he was okay.

As Marvin read, Whizzer drifted to sleep once more, and things felt as if they could get better. Maybe Whizzer could go home soon.

Some people believe that if they wish or hope or pray hard enough, it can save another person.

Marvin prayed so often. He wished on every star. And he hoped that Whizzer could be okay. He didn't know who he was praying to. He didn't believe that stars would make his wishes come true. He didn't think he could ever hope hard enough.