Brain Fuck

The loud crash of fists against the window is what snapped me out of my sleep. I am huddled close to Marvin on the couch of my basement. Cordelia is at the mini bar, making herself and her girlfriend a drink.

"What the fuck was that?" My voice is quiet, panicked.

"You know what it was, Whizzer." Cordelia snapped. Her normally shimmering blue eyes are dull.

I picture what outside looks like. A hazy orange sky, a disgusting smell, groans of the people who's heads were ripped open and now were walking corpses. Men, women, children, all searching for someone to feed off of, someone's head to sink their teeth into and devour their brains. Humans trying to find somewhere, anywhere away from those creatures that is safe.

I hear screams from beyond the heavily barricaded windows and doors of the basement - which we pray are safe, - screams of teenage girls trying to find their boyfriends, shrieks of mothers searching for their children, the shrill cries of the monsters whom the whole world seemed to be hiding from.

All that I can get from the outside world is those vibrant orangey-red rays that manage to slip past the barricaded windows of the room, casting themself onto the walls. It is a pleasant sight, one that distracts me from the current state of the world.

The sixteen year old blonde with the once dazzling blue eyes limps over to me and hands me a can of beer. It is cold against the palm of my hand. Shivers run down my spine.

"Delia, we're teenagers, we shouldn't be drinking." I utter, looking at her with the same dull eyes she has.

"Fuck the law. If I could possibly die and be undead or some shit, I want to have some fun before it happens. I mean, look how close I was already to dying. One of those fuckers almost bit my leg." She points to her leg, dark bruises, accompanied by gashes and cuts covered it, her thigh wrapped in blood-stained bandage wrap.

"Fuck, they're violent, aren't they?" I mumble, taking the can to my lips and letting the liquid slip down my throat. It is cold and left a sort of burning sensation.

"No shit." Cordelia agreed, handing her girlfriend the drink she requested. "You know, I think we need to fix the windows again. I don't like how much sun is coming it, it feels like we're too vulnerable."

I don't like that idea. I like the sun peeking through the metal covering the window. It gives me a feel of safety, but they will out number me. They always do.

Charlotte nods in agreement with her girlfriend, her stern expression becoming concerned. "Hey, is Marvin okay? He's been out for awhile."

I sigh. "He's fine. He's breathing."

Is Marvin fine though? I mean, he's been using again, all the stress of this shit has fucked him over.

Marvin is not fine. He is breathing, but my boyfriend is not okay.

My attention is brought away from Marvin, and to Trina who was emerging from another room. Our basement is large. It has rooms. We are in the makeshift living room.

~

Trina has the baby in her arms and her tit out. She doesn't care. Her baby needs food, she is supplying it.

We don't care either.

Mendel follows soon after, scratching his neck anxiously. He is covered in scratches as well. Mendel cares about his girlfriends tits. Trina groans as she sits on a beanbag.

"When can we watch tv?" She spits, agitated. She has a lot to deal with. A newborn baby, monsters outside the window, a train wreck of a boyfriend.

We do not like living in a basement together. Six high schoolers plus a baby in a basement is not ideal, but we get by.