The Purr of a Smile

Whizzer sat on his bed and held a pillow to his chest. Whizzer recalled the moments he had spent in that room. He had lost so many pieces of himself in that room and some days he couldn't gain the strength to regather them. And then Marvin would be there, and Marvin would put Whizzer back together like a puzzle.

And then he would take one piece away.

And another.

And another.

Until Whizzer was scattered again, stuck in bed and piece-less. He had fallen apart so many times, he wasn't so sure if he would ever be able to put himself back together completely again.

But Marvin was always there. Always.

And then he wasn't.

Whizzer inhaled the scent of Marvin's pillow. Can't wash it. It will smell different.

And he would take away pieces of me until I was fucking nothing, but it was okay, you know? I always forgave him, because he was the only person who ever actually loved me, all the other people were just there and then...they weren't, you know? It was like, some days they would take me on dates, but most days I would be bent over and by the end of the day I was sore all over. And I hated it. Every second of it was hell. But then I met Marvin and things were great and...

And now he's gone and he is never coming back.

Whizzer stood up and stumbled to the closet, Marvin's side, to find one of Marvin's hoodies. He inhaled the scent, that amazing scent, and peeled off his shirt before replacing it with Marvin's hoodie.

He inhaled the air of the room, this time, a relaxing scent of raspberry candles, Cordelia's choice, and a mix of falling rain.

He sat on the edge of his bed, his eyes closed gently, breathing in the air. His door creaked open softly, a nearly weightless member of Whizzer's family trotting across his lap and rubbing against his side.

"Oh, Mittens..." He whispered, quietly, scooping the grey and white splattered kitten into his arms and petting her head softly.

She jumped away, scrambling to the windowsill and sitting there, seemingly enjoying the air as much as Whizzer.

There was gentle knocking at his front door, and part of him wanted to let the person, whoever it was, get drenched in rain, but he didn't.

He managed to stand up and carry himself to the front door, let his fingers turn the knob, as a cloud of needing swirled through his brain, hoping, Marvin would be the one at the door.

But he's dead.

So, when Whizzer opened the door, there she was, Cordelia.

"Hey, bud. How's it going?" She asked, softly.

He sighed. "Same as yesterday."

"That's okay, it's okay. Can I come in?"

"I guess, yeah."

She let herself in, revealing that she was holding a box, a crate, soft mewing coming from it.

"So, Char and I are fostering kittens. And, we know you love Mittens, and, you can adopt one or two, if you want. Would you like to look at them?"

"Yes. Please."

And easily, he knew which one he would take in as his.

A small, very small, grey sphynx kitten with big ears and innocent eyes crawled into his lap with wobbly legs.

She was a little bigger than the size of Whizzer's hands, purred loudly.

Lately, Whizzer's heart was so heavy, he had barely spoken, but this girl, this kitten, deserved to hear his voice, you know?

"Juju."

"Juju?" Cordelia echoed.

"Juju. Short for Juliette."

"You want her?"

He nodded, and for the first time since Marvin passed, Whizzer Brown smiled.