it only takes four hours to make or break someone's day

Hiii~ I'm making up for the short chapter last update with this baby :') almost 10k words long heehee

CONTENT WARNING: There's a scene where Ranpo (MC's father) openly inflicts physical pain on them. As always, I don't write abuse of any kind in my fics, this is just circumstantial with the plot, but I know that some people might want a heads up about that before reading.

...

You're screwed. You're fucked. You're in deep shit.

By the time the taxi pulls up in front of your mother's lot in Konda Village, you've bitten your nails down out of sheer anxiousness. Ayato doesn't mind if you don't respond to his text messages, but it's not like you had a clue about what to say to him either. Sure, see you there? Can you really say that with a clear conscience when you unknowingly made plans with Itto in the very same location, too?

Get a grip. It isn't the end of the world, you tell yourself as the cab starts to drive out of the village—breathing deeply in an attempt to gather your thoughts.

Obviously, ditching the Kamisato trio is out of the question. You've already let them down once, and you did promise to catch up this weekend. You're the one who brought it up with them, too. So it's completely on you to forget that you scheduled something which just happened to overlap with your plans with Itto.

Itto, who looked so happy to hear you asking him out. Itto, who was looking after the shop in your stead, probably looking forward to what you have in store later.

"Ah, if it isn't Takahashi-san's kid!"

The sound of the elderly caretaker's voice resounds from the house right next to your mother's lot, snapping you out of your dilemma. You manage a hesitant smile before waving a hand in his direction.

"Katsumi-san," you greet with a sigh. "Yeah. I thought I'd check up on the flowers. Is Eri-san not with you?"

Katsumi shakes his head. "That wife of mine is in the community center like always. She likes telling kids stories from our youth, that one... Ah, but you wanted to take a look at your hydrangeas?"

"Yes, please."

Saimon Katsumi and Saimon Eri used to be your mother's closest clients when she still ran her own shop in Inazuma City. You've met them a few times growing up, and even if it wasn't all that often, you can never really forget such a lovely couple from Konda Village. They were kind enough to look after your biggest investment for the season, too. Cultivating hydrangeas for commercial use requires more attention to detail than simply growing them on a whim. The fact that you had to go all the way here to give your shrubs a good environment is a testament to how seriously you're taking this job.

"The stems have started to sprout from the soil," Katsumi explains as he leads you out to the garden. "It'll take longer for the leaves to proliferate, much more the buds. But I'm sure you already knew all of that."

You laugh softly as you follow him across the gated fence. "Yup. Best-case scenario, they'll all be fully bloomed by spring."

"What's the occasion for these again?"

"A wedding at the Kamisato estate."

Kamisato. Right. You still had a major problem of overlapping schedules to sort out. Fuck.

"Are you alright?" Katsumi questions with a concerned tone. "You look a bit pale."

"Oh, I just remembered I forgot to leave some food for my cat before I left," you reply somewhat nervously. It wasn't really a lie, since you did forget to fill Mikan's food bowl after lunch. You hope Itto will take care of her in the meantime.