how about we just hug it out like a bunch of bros?

so i ran a poll on twt, asking if i should update paradoxical or reparations first andddd... reparations won 47 out of 72 votes WWWWWW

btw, *waves white flag* everyone, don't be so hard on thoma bc of the shit he pulled last chapter just yet !! i'm the bearer of proper explanations as to what really happened~ ehe ehe

OH AND, important chapter tag: There's Only One Bed :3c

...

"He turned me down."

Those are the first words that come out of Ayato's mouth when Thoma steps inside his office. The blond raises an eyebrow. He knew better than to assume Ayato had simply called him up here on a whim, but he can't quite think of other reasons for the Commissioner to do so.

"Is something wrong?" Thoma wonders.

Ayato slinks further into his seat. "He rejected me, Thoma."

"Um... Waka, who are we talking about again?"

"Ranpo-dono." The Commissioner sighs. "I called him just now, assuming he'd be willing to help me sort out the Shuumatsuban problem. He was hostile at first, but eventually I got to talk to him like we were on good terms, so why...?"

A crease slowly forms on Thoma's brow as Ayato hypothesizes the reason behind Ranpo's refusal. He didn't mind listening to his charge complain about stubborn clientele, but Ayato could be quite obsessive when it comes to getting this done. He strives for perfection because that's how he was brought up. One wouldn't expect any less of the head of the Yashiro Commission, of course. But as both Ayato's friend and attendant, he worries about him sometimes.

Thoma was yet to come into the picture when the Shuumatsuban officially existed. The only thing he knows is that Takahashi Ranpo was the former head shinobi who led that organization—one that answered directly to the Kamisato clan. The siblings were much, much younger at the time. Ayaka was still in middle school when everything apparently went to ruin. In contrast, Ayato was much more involved with it; even going as far as becoming one of its members.

Time and time again, Thoma is reminded that all of that was old news.

Yet why is Ayato digging up the bones of a past long gone?

This is something Ayaka worried about prior to moving out of the mansion. She was hesitant to leave Ayato alone in the estate for her job at Inazuma City, since he did have a tendency to go overboard sometimes.

He got that from our father... He's mellowed down over the years but there's no saying what he might do without proper guidance. But I trust nii-sama and his ability to discern what's right from wrong.

"This dispute is giving me a headache," Ayato groans, massaging the bridge of his nose. "I've exhausted all the legal means to track down the henchmen involved, but I can't get a good visual. If word goes around that the fake Shuumatsuban is in cahoots with the yakuza, then the credibility of the Yashiro Commission is done for."

Thoma nods somewhat hesitantly. "So you thought seeking Takahashi-san's help would speed up the process?"

"A plan that obviously backfired," he sulked before tapping his gloved fingers against his desk. "Something needs to happen for him to act. Ranpo-dono has been living a cushy life with his family, so it's not a surprise that he doesn't want anything to do with this... Even if the Shuumatsuban used to be his pride and joy."

The forlorn lilt to Ayato's words piques Thoma's curiosity just a tad. He's spent a chunk of his life here in Inazuma alongside Ayato, but he rarely ever speaks like that. It's almost like he's recalling a fond memory he can no longer relive.