Chapter 8

*Sarvente's POV*

     The next day, I prepare Ruv's favorite snack that he likes to have while he watches the slapping contests on the TV; spice cakes. He doesn't trust the street vendors, because he thinks they might try to poison us. I hope no one accidentally mistakes one of the cakes for an average cake.

     Ruv helps me, because it is the kind thing to do.

     "So, are you excited? I can never tell.", I say with a laugh.

     "Very.", Ruv says with an attempted smile.

     "I got us front row seats. Just make sure not to yell too loud.", I say jokingly but also seriously.

      "Of course.", he responds.

      We make sure to wear clothes that will make us blend in, considering the bounty on Ruv and that we'll be in the front row.

       On the way there, I feel like someone is watching us. I don't tell Ruv, because he will get very cautious, and instead I make sure to keep an eye out. 

        (If you don't understand, the paragraph above references how Selever and Rasazy watch them through a portal window while they are in the Nothing World.)

        Once we get there, the contest is about to start.

         "Who do you think will win?", I ask Ruv.

         "Volkov looks pretty strong, but I can tell that it's just for show; what an idiot. I bet he's weaker than a mouse.", he says. "Balakin seems hopeful and strong on the inside and outside, and he looks very prepared; I think he'll win."

          We decide to bet with some others. Ruv and I both bet on Balakin. Normally it is hard to tell, but I can see that Ruv is having a great time.

           "AND BALAKIN WINS!!!", screams the announcers at the end of the contest. Ruv and I hug and cheer in celebration. In the heat of the moment, I kiss him on the cheek without even thinking. He blushes, and so do I, realizing what happened.

            During the walk home, we talk.

             "Thank you for a great day.", Ruv says, attempting a smile. I give him a hug.

             "That's what friends do for each other.", I respond. Friends. The word tastes bitter in my mouth. Hopefully, in the future, we will be able to use a different word.