Prologue

*Ruv's POV*

     The streets are dark, as rain and thunder clash together, the only light being the occasional street lamp. I drag myself along the dim streets, looking for somewhere- anywhere- to hide. My mouth is filled with the metallic taste of blood, and the police are looking for me everywhere. I was forced to kill an officer about an hour from here who recognized me from the wanted pictures. I had to distance myself from the body.

     I'm quite strong, but bullets wound me, as I am still human. I feel like I'm going to faint, my head swirling. I have to keep going. I have to keep going. I have to keep- I see something. In front of me stands a dated building with a light shining over the wide doors, giving off an eerie but welcoming feeling- a church.

     "Maybe I'll rest here for now...", I think to myself, sitting down, as everything goes black.

     ...

     ...

     ...

     "Goodness, it looks like you have been out here for quite some time..." I hear someone say, faintly.

     I groggily open my eyes, just to be greeted by a pink nun. Fuck. Though I figured this would be a good place to rest, I never considered that there might be anyone in this old building... I try to say something to the nun, but I'm too weak to even move my mouth, much less think logically, and end up coughing up dark red blood in the place of words.

     "Oh my, you're in worse shape than I initially thought! Being out here won't do you any good! Please, let me help you inside.", she says, to which I nod, though I don't trust her completely. Something seems off about her, as if there is something deeper behind her smile...

     The nun helps me up, out of the rain, and into her church. I hope she doesn't recognize me... It would be quite unfortunate to kill such a kind-seeming person. Or any of the other others inside.

     The church, full with rows of empty benches, is pink on the inside. An old scent of dust fills the air, as if the building hasn't been used for some time, but alongside this is the faint scent of flowers, like a sweet breeze.

     "Where is everyone?", I manage to ask, while the nun searches for a First Aid kit.

     "Oh, it's just me.", she responds. "There are many members of the church, but unfortunately we don't see them as much as we used to..."

     "Oh...", I respond. Assuming she is telling the truth, I pity her, but at the same time, it's better that it's only her, so I'm less likely to be recognized.

     She helps me sit down on a nearby bench so she can tend to my wounds. First, she takes off my jacket, but as she tries to take off my ushanka, I flinch, so she tries to be more careful.

     "Why are you helping me?", I ask the pink nun, as she disinfects and bandages my injuries. Why would anyone- even a nun- wish to help the ruthless criminal that is me?

     "You don't remember?", she says, in a semi-nervous laugh. Remember...?

     "Can you recall how you got your eye-ribbon?", she asks.

     "I... I got it years ago. I don't exactly remember how, but I know I was still a child... My parents figured one of them gave it to me."

     "Maybe this will help you remember...", she says with a smile, as she searches around in some old boxes. She pulls out an old notebook, labeled 'Diary', and pulls out a photo.

     "Does this face ring a bell?", she says, as she takes off her veil, revealing her long, rose-pink hair, and the stubs of her demonic horns that she was teased for as a child.

     "I...S- Sarvente?"

     "Even if you didn't remember our promise, I'm glad that God brought us together once again, Ruvyzvat.", she says, with a now familiar smile.