Chapter 13

*Ruv's POV*

     Today... is a day I haven't been too eager for, to say the least.

     Sarvente and I are childhood friends, now dating, not to mention the fact that her life weighs on me maintaining my vow. And now I must introduce her to my parents, who are stopping by this afternoon.

     I was born into a criminal lifestyle, having a fugitive mother and a religious ex-cop/soldier father gone rogue to support my mother. I had to leave my parents to fend for myself at the ripe age of 17, though I still have contact with them, as they call me now and then through burner phones. I have a good relationship with them, but I'm worried about how they will feel about their only son protecting the devil- Lucifer Sarvente herself- with his life...

     "Common, Ruv! We need to tidy up the church and back here before they get here!", Sarvente says, as I am on the couch, with Russian slapping contests playing in the background.

     I throw on my coat, Sarv gets the cleaning supplies, and we head to the main area of the church. Sarvente sweeps the isle while humming her song "Parish", as I wipe dust off of the church pews.

     "You must be excited, huh?", I say to Sarv, who smiles.

     "I have never been in a relationship before, considering that I am the Devil, so this is really exciting!"

     "I can't imagine what it must have been like, existing since the beginning of time with no parents or family..."

     "Don't worry about the past, Ruv. I've made it this far, and grown so much, plus I have you for a family!", she says joyfully, while hugging me, burying her face in my coat.

     Her joy and bubbliness makes me feel a bit better about it all, but I'm still a bit on edge.

     "Let's make some spice cake again!", Sarvente says after a bit more cleaning.

     "I think they'd like that...", I say.

     Now, Sarv is getting dressed, and I am working hard at making the spice cake. If my parents are unsettled about the demon-nun-girlfriend situation, at least they'll have some good food to eat...

     While I let the cake cool, Sarvente comes out, pretty as always. I attempt to smile, and she giggles.

     The groaning of the church doors can be heard from the main church area. They must be here...

    Sarvente and I head over to greet my parents.

     "Рувви!", says my mother, Rschvania, as she embraces me in a hug. "I see you got yourself quite a place here, huh?"

     "Рад тебя видеть, Mама...", I say in part-groan, while Sarvente giggles.

     "It's been quite some time since we last saw you.", my father, Krusveto, says. "Благослови Господа you have been well."

     "Nice to meet you, sir, and ma'am.", Sarvente says, shaking their hands.

     "О пожалуйста, you can call us by our names.", says my mom. "I am Rschvania, but you can call me Rsch, and this is my husband, Krusveto, or Krus for short."

     "Aren't you that girl with the ribbons from when Ruv was a ребенок?", my dad asks.

     "Yes, my name is Lucifer Sarvente, but you can call me Sarv or Sarvente.", Sarvente says. My father seems a little startled, but my mom seems fine with it all.

     Sarvente goes on. "Years ago, when I had first turned to the way of the Lord, aspiring to lead others to a path of holiness, as well as ascend to Heaven one day, your son was the first to treat me with kindness, despite me being the ruler of Hell. As you were on the run, he eventually had to leave, but we promised to reunite in the future, and I gave him his eye ribbon as a parting gift. His kindness allowed me to age from my child-like appearance, and I became the head of this old but welcoming church. Ruvyzvat and I crossed paths once again by chance, while he was badly injured. I took him in, and he decided to stay once realizing who I was, making a vow to protect me until the end of time and never leave my side. The vow made Ruv and you, as his surviving family, immortal, to make sure that he will continue to uphold his end of the vow. If he breaks it, I will die and he will lose his immortality." Sarvente turns to me and smiles, holding my hand. "But I have faith in Ruv, and I look forward to spending the entirety of my existence with him."

     "Such храбрый commitments.", my mom says, turning to me, grinning. "Reminds me of your father." My dad blushes, embarrassed.

     "So, you two are dating, верно?", my father, now recovered from the blush and a bit more comfortable with Sarvente, asks.

     "Da, we have been dating for a few months now.", I say.

     "Can we expect any внуки in the future?", my mom asks Sarv.

     "Mама...", I say, trying not to sound embarrassed.

     "Hey, I'm just asking! I'm looking forward to being the cool grandma." My dad smiles.

     Sarvente laughs nervously, blushing. "Once we get married, probably. We haven't really talked about it yet..."

     "Either way, we appreciate you looking after our son. Even if you are the Devil, I sense that you are a trustworthy person. You have our respect, and we welcome you into our family, even if we are one of criminals."

     Sarvente smiles again, shedding a single tear.

     "Uh... Would either of you like some spice cake? We prepared some for you guys, and Sarvente's recipes always taste good.", I say.

     "That sounds nice, Рувви.", says my mom.

     "You have such nice parents!", Sarv whispers to me as we head for the living quarters, and I attempt to smile once again.