Chapter 59: The Grim Reaper, Death

Kirito POV:

At the end of the one-week trip on the cruise, none of us managed to narrow down Shiro's partner, let alone find out who it was.

On the bright side, Alice recovered and no more attacks happened. When Eugeo found out, he became blinded by his rage and nearly spit out the truth of the trip to everyone aboard.

In addition, despite her best efforts, I could tell Argo was as upset as I was by the trip's results. Once we returned to shore, she stormed off without so much as a goodbye. Though I doubted she'd sit still, I just hoped she proceeded with caution.

I originally planned on doing the projects I promised dad in exchange for the cruise ship, but something came up that could change the tide a bit and put them off for now.

On the fourth night of the trip, I received a call from former student council vice president Daichi. He didn't say much other than he'll get discharged by the weekend and to visit him when he did.

I ignored him at first, especially for what he tried to pull in the election against Asuna. But he convinced me otherwise...

[I know about Shiro.]

He said as such and just like that, I stood in front of the hospital where he recovered. With me was Asuna, who I promised to never keep secrets from again.

We both passed through the automatic doors at the entrance and walked to the reception desk.

"Excuse me, is there a patient named Daichi Atsushi? We're his... Friends." I said.

The pale-looking receptionist glanced up at us before she typed away at her computer and handed us a clipboard and pen.

"He's in room 253 on the third floor. Please sign here."

Her monotone voice made her sound more like a robot than a human. Nonetheless, Asuna and I wrote our names and signatures down before handing the clipboard back.

She took the clipboard and handed us a pair of visitor tags as we shuffled away from the desk as fast as we could and rode the elevator to the third floor.

While we ascended floors, I wanted to confirm with Asuna again.

"Are you sure you want to come? I doubt he'll say anything I don't already know."

"I'm sure. I have something to say to him too."

"I see..." I looked down a bit, "I know I said it already, but I'll say it again... I'm sorry."

"And as I already said, I forgive you. I understand why kept Shiro's partner from us, so cheer up, alright?"

I wanted to respond, but the words 'I have something to tell you' remained stuck in my throat as I tried to force them out. I ultimately remained silent until we got off on the third floor.

We asked a passing nurse where room 253 was and bought some refreshments before we arrived outside the said room's door and knocked.

"Come in."

A voice came from the door. I obliged and turned the doorknob then pushed the door open where we came across Daichi putting on a jacket. It looked as though he just finished changing into a new set of clothes.

"I'm glad you came."

He gestured for us to take a seat on the stools beside his bed as he patted himself down.

"We brought refreshments. You only get water though since you just got discharged." Asuna handed him a bottle and we sat on the stools.

After a good look at him, it did seem like he's recovered. I saw his injuries personally and would've been convinced if someone told me got run over by a truck, so his quick recovery impressed me.