Chapter 68: Pressed For Time

Kirito POV:

[Kamura's on the move.]

Hearing that, I gripped my phone.

What?

"W-What do you mean they're on the move?" I said in a rush.

[I just received a call from the school's director. They've heard of your plan and are going to stop us from buying the school.]

How was that possible? Even if Satoru told them, Shikimi would've talked them out of it with the check I gave her. If we failed at this stage, getting rid of Satoru and Shiro would be near impossible.

I calmed down and reorganized my thoughts. First, I needed to hear what Kouichirou had to say. He wouldn't have called me just to tell me about this.

"Is there anything else?" I asked.

The other end became silent momentarily, but I could hear papers flipping through the phone.

[There's going to be a meeting tomorrow before noon at 11:00. Kamura and the board will discuss our proposal then.]

"If we're not present, the likelihood of them suppressing us is..."

[Next to 100%. The school director must've figured as much as well, which is why he wants us there.]

Kenji Atsushi was one of the few people I hoped to never face while I was still in school. But if even he's worried, then we couldn't simply ignore this.

[Are you going to the meeting?]

"That's a given. I'll see what I can do."

[You can always rely on me, you know? We're partners in this matter, after all.]

Since I spent all my savings on helping Shikimi, I was penniless. I had to turn to Asuna's brother for help in buying the school's shares.

I couldn't repay him immediately, so we agreed to split the shares between us instead and I readily accepted his help, which was why...

"I wouldn't want to bother you. You're busier than me these days."

[How considerate of you, little brother.]

My back tingled funnily causing me to arch my body, hearing him say that.

"I figured you'd heard about that, but I didn't think you were one to bring it up in this situation."

He didn't respond to my comment and instead turned solemn.

[For Asuna's sake, I hope your plan succeeds.]

He cared for Asuna a lot. That was one of the reasons why we got along so well.

"Of course, I'll succeed no matter what."

He cut the call soon after and I let out a sigh. Argo, who had been quiet until now, gave a troubled look.

"Is it serious?" She asked.

"A bit. But it's nothing for you to be concerned about. Focus on recovering, you've already done more than enough."

I decided against telling her. Her recovery was equally as important to me as this recent setback.

She nodded in resignation, accepting she couldn't do anything in her state.

"Well, it is you we're talking about. I'm sure you've got it under control."

Leaving me with those words, I left her room.

The following day I arrived at the school gates an hour before 11 o'clock. I stated my purpose to the security guard stationed there and, after he received confirmation, entered.