chapter one

"Love, I see you now."

Underground- Cody Fry

~~~

DOVE awoke at the early hours of 5am. Some mornings that was just the ordinary. Her fragile state of mind meant that some nights were more difficult to sleep through than others.

The Victor contemplated laying there, trying her best to fall back to sleep so she wouldn't be exhausted for the rest of her day.

But she was too afraid to relive her Games that she decided to force her eyes awake.

By now she was used to the trauma of the murders she had committed. But the way those memories lingered in the back of her mind, preying on her thoughts and current reality, was the one thing that scared her more than President Snow.

Some nights she could barely handle it; the thoughts just wouldn't go away. Some nights were better. She either fell back asleep until she was awaken by her next set of nightmares, or she silently cried to herself until her exhaustion forced her asleep.

But today, she thought, today was going to be better. She was tired, no, exhausted, from the weight of her own memories. She promised everyone else she would get better. And for once in her stubborn little life, she was going to listen.

Despite the clock, Dove got up. She tried her best to shower without waking her parents. Thankfully due to the size of her house she had won a few years back, they were too far away to hear her tiptoeing about.

Dove dressed herself in a beautiful pastel blue top, assisted by cream cargo pants that were perfect for frosty mornings. She decided to leave her naturally straight locks to flow in the salty breeze, instead of tying it up into her classic, but elegant, ponytail. She always wore makeup, whether it was natural or full-coverage, she always wore it. Her jewellery also complimented her oceanic top. She had a few ear piercings, more than most in her District did, but nothing too eccentric. She always wore silver-plated, and any jewel that came with the earring was blue. Her neckline had a small dove dangling from a delicate silver chain, that hung next to a petite crystal.

It was the necklace Finnick had brought back from the Capitol one day as a gift to her, and as an apology for being away for so long. Since she had received it, she never took it off.

The day Finnick gave it to her was the day after the Reaping, when she was faced with the reality of being a tribute in the 68th Hunger Games. Finnick was her Mentor, alongside Mags, who was getting just a little bit too old for the job. Being the most beloved Victor in history, Finnick jumped at the opportunity to help his dear friend through what he had experienced, just three years prior.

He gave Dove the necklace to secretly wear during her Games. He told her that the woman he bought it from said it was a sign of Hope. Dove remembered Finnick's exact words to her:

"As long as you have Hope, you can never really lose."

When Dove came through as the 68th Victor at just age 16, she told Finnick that his words were what kept her alive. She swore to never take the necklace off.

Dove continued to reminisce on her memories with Finnick and the Games, as she walked further and further into the District's closed market that was just before the Docks.

Dove regretted her decision to not bring a coat. The early morning was beautiful, but felt below freezing. She shivered her way around the stools, praying at least one was open where she could ask someone if they had a spare jacket. Being just 5:20am, no one had risen yet, no one besides the fishermen who were either leaving the Docks or just coming back.