chapter thirty-one

"When you said your last goodbye, I died a little bit inside. I lay in tears in bed all night,

Alone without you by my side."

All I want- Kodaline

~~~

A few days had passed since Snow and Coin's deaths. Dove was informed that Katniss had to leave the Capitol due to her actions, but Paylor promised her that one day she would be pardoned. Until then, Katniss and Haymitch immediately returned to District 12.

Now it was finally time for Dove to return to District 4. She thought she'd be more excited to go home than she was, but Dove didn't know if she could handle coming home without Finnick. All the memories would flood back to her, but Dove was no longer strong enough to handle the weight of them.

"I guess this is where we part ways." Johanna smiled sadly to Dove.

Dove sighed and pulled Johanna into a tight hug. She felt Johanna squeeze her tightly before slowly letting go, taking a step back.

"What will you do?" Dove asked Johanna.

"Probably go back to 7." Johanna sighed. "I guess I just won't have anybody waiting for me this time."

Dove paused as she saw Johanna break eye contact with her. The pained expression on Johanna's face throbbed in Dove's heart. She took her hand, before smiling at her slightly.

"Come back to 4 with us." Dove smiled.

"What?" Johanna laughed.

"Come back to District 4 with us." Dove repeated. "You can stay with Isabelle and I."

"You don't need me intruding on your new life like that." Johanna replied sadly.

"I couldn't imagine my 'new life' without you in it, Johanna Mason." Dove smiled warmly.

Johanna paused for a moment as she smiled at Dove. She sighed and then let out a small laugh, before looking behind Dove to notice Coraz and Isabelle.

"Alright." Johanna smiled. "But I'm not doubling up with anyone." She joked.

"What's going on?" Coraz asked, as he walked over to Dove to check if she was ready to leave.

"I've picked up a stowaway." Dove joked as Johanna rolled her eyes.

"Very funny." Johanna remarked, as she walked past the two to go join Isabelle.

"You ready to go home?" Coraz asked Dove gently.

"As ready as I can be." Dove replied warily.

"You're gonna be okay." Coraz smiled as best as he could. "But first, I think there's someone who wants to say goodbye."

Coraz nodded his head behind Dove, as she spun her heel to see who he was talking about. Dove watched as Glaïne walked down the steps towards the Victors. He had a tear stained face, but still displayed a bright smile as he pulled Dove into a final hug.

"Promise me you'll find it." Glaïne whispered tearfully.

"Find what?" Dove asked, as Glaïne pulled away from the hug.

"The life of a Victor." He remarked proudly, as he kissed her cheek.

Dove nodded sadly as Coraz insisted it was time to go. Glaïne hugged him goodbye as well, before they had to get going.

"You're a pain in my ass, Glaïne Worthie. But know you're always welcome in 4." Coraz said sternly, but with kindess hidden behind his tone.

"Okay, tough guy." Glaïne winked, as Coraz rolled his eyes.