chapter four

"And if somebody hurts you, I'd wanna fight...

But my hands been broken one too many times."

Another Love- Tom Odell

~~~

DOVE woke up screaming from a nightmare. Her heart was racing so fast she thought it was going to explode. As she realised it wasn't real she was blinded by the lights on the ceiling of what appeared to be a hospital room. Her arms were tied up to many wires which were linked to all kinds of machines next to her hospital bed.

"Hey, hey. It's okay. You're fine. You're home. You're safe." A reassuring voice comforted the tormented Victor.

"Finnick?" Dove choked out.

"It's okay. It's me. Lie back down." Finnick said calmly.

"Where are we?" Dove asked confused.

"Home. District 4." Finnick tried to smile reassuringly.

"How did we- I was-" Dove panicked, trying to get out of the bed.

"You took a bullet in the shoulder Dove, but the Doctors aided some of the ointment the Capitol sponsors would send into the Games for your wound. Check it out." Finnick smiled, removing a piece of Dove's hospital gown so she could see her fully healed shoulder.

"How long have I been out?" Dove asked.

"Not long. About 2 days." Finnick said, now taking Dove's hand in his.

"Oh god...Snow." Dove mumbled.

"He wanted my parents dead. He wanted you dead. Johanna. Katniss. Everyone-" Dove hyperventilated.

"Dove.." Finnick looked away sadly.

"Finnick. Why haven't my parents come to see me?" Dove asked forcefully.

Finnick stayed silent.

"Finnick. What happened to my parents?" Dove choked out, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Peacekeepers came to the Village." Finnick muttered sadly. "I'm so sorry Dove. They're gone."

Dove couldn't speak. She wanted to freak out. Throw up. Cry. Force her way out of her hospital bed. Kill Snow.

But she didn't. All she did was let out the most gut-wrenching scream Finnick Odair had ever heard. He immediately comforted her, just letting her cry into his chest.

Dove didn't know what to do. She thought after Isabelle's death she'd never have to feel this feeling again. But she was wrong. Now, Snow has taken away everyone from her. Her family was dead, because of her. The one person she had left to protect in her life was Finnick, and there was no way in hell she was going to let him die.

Later that evening, the doctors discharged Dove from the hospital due to her shoulder being fully healed, despite a slight scar left where the bullet pierced her skin.

Finnick did not leave her side once. Even when they finally arrived back in Victors Village, he wasn't going to leave her to deal with her grief alone. When they approached her house, Dove was hesitant to go in. She wasn't sure if she could handle seeing all of her belongings trashed around the house, knowing that the mess represented her parent's brutal murders.

But when she finally opened the front door, with Finnick holding her hand and squeezing it as she grew the courage to twist the door knob, she was surprised to see her house completely immaculate-looking.