chapter twenty-five

"We were running out, through the storms, through the night,

We were running in the dark, we were following our hearts."

Falling Apart- Michael Schulte

~~~

Dove awoke in the early hours of the morning when the darkness still filled the room. She was awoken by Jackson putting Katniss on Peeta's next watch. Dove sat up from Peeta's lap. She was relieved when she saw Isabelle still sleeping, then turned to face Finnick.

"Your turn." Dove smiled slightly as she yawned.

She picked her trident up from the floor as she sat up straight. Finnick led his head down onto Dove's lap, looking up to her as she kissed his lips gently. Finnick let his eyes fall shut as Dove looked back towards Katniss, who was eyeing Peeta suspiciously.

"We've been here before, you know." Peeta said to Katniss, catching her attention.

"What?" Katniss said.

"That look. I've seen that look before." Peeta said. "You're trying to decide, whether or not you should kill me."

"I never wanted to kill you." Katniss retorted. "And that's not what I'm doing."

"I saw with my own eyes. In the first Games." Peeta remarked.

"In the first Games I thought you were trying to help the Careers kill me." Katniss replied defensively. "After that, I always saw you as an ally."

"Friend..Lover..Victor..Fiancé..Enemy..Mutt..Target and now Ally? Yeah I'll add that to the list of words I use to try figure you out!" Peeta exclaimed.

Dove gripped her trident as Peeta raised his voice. He noticed Dove's sudden worry, so relaxed back into his seat. Dove looked at Katniss warily, but she gave Dove a comforting look.

"I'm sorry." Peeta said. "I just can't tell what's real, and what's made-up anymore."

"Then ask." Dove replied. "That's what Izzy does."

"Ask who?" Peeta questioned.

"Us." Jackson smiled. "We're your unit now."

Peeta paused for a moment as he sat with his thoughts. Dove smiled at Jackson gratefully, then turning her attention back to Peeta and a skeptical Katniss.

"Your favourite colour is green. Is that real?" Peeta asked innocently.

"Yeah, it's real." Katniss responded. "Yours is orange. Not bright orange, more soft, like the sunset."

Peeta nodded slightly at Katniss response. Dove smiled faintly as she saw him relax.

"You're a painter. You're a baker. You always sleep with the windows open. You never take sugar in your tea. You always double knot your shoelaces." Katniss sighed. "You were right. I can't do this."

She stood up abruptly as she moved away to sit next to Gale. Dove sighed slightly, but still smiled at Peeta warmly. She turned her attention back to her husband and her sister, both sleeping as peacefully as they could be.

"I can take the next watch." Mitchell said to Dove, startling her slightly.

"Thank you." Dove smiled slightly, as she learnt her head back.

She let her mind drift off, trying to get in as much sleep as possible before the sun rose.

The squad were awoken when the sun had fully risen, everyone preparing to venture further into the Capitol. Boggs had handed Peeta and Isabelle rifles with no bullets in them. They were simply for the propos that Cressida and her team were to film.