iii. a new gift

     FOR THE FIRST TIME in years, the town was lit up in excitement

FOR THE FIRST TIME in years, the town was lit up in excitement. Casita's tiles danced as people slowly began migrating inside. Luisa stood outside, parking peoples donkeys while Camilo greeted the guests who came inside with his antics. Isabela wowed the guests with beautiful displays of flowers, forming wonderful flower crowns on the amazed children's heads.

Valentina sat on the floor, circled by a small crowd of amazed kids who watched as visions of their past danced through bright purple swirls. "Me next! Me next!" Each of them shouted, their voices overlapping each other.

"Okay, okay," Valentina chuckled, pushing herself off the floor. "Who's ready for the gift ceremony tonight?" She asked, the crowd of kids instantly cheering. "It's almost time so I have to go make sure everything is ready, okay?" The kids dispersed, and Valentina let out a relieving sigh. She loved entertaining the kids for it made her actually feel useful, but the constant use of her gift was almost exhausting.

"Wow, that was really cool!" A voice exclaimed from behind her. She turned around, expecting it to be a little kid but was instead met by a boy about her age. He was a few inches taller than her with tanned skin and messy black hair. He wore a dark red ruana over a black shirt with black pants and sandals.

"Ah, it's nothing," she shrugged. "It's not anything cool like making flowers or being super strong or hearing everything within a twenty mile radius, but it's something I guess." She quickly shut up, realizing that she was once again rambling.

"No, I think it's really cool. I'm surprised people don't tell you that more often," he smiled, and Valentina could feel her face about turning red.

"Abuela's all about using your gifts to help the town, and my gift isn't really that helpful so," she laughed nervously. "Plus, with my father everyone kind of thinks I'm weird."

"Bruno, right?" The boy guessed, immediately earning stares from the people around. "Well, I don't think you're weird. My names Emilio by the way."

"I'm Valentina," she replied, smiling up at the boy.

"Val!" She groaned, recognizing the person who shouted behind her. "Come on, it's almost time for Antonio." It was Camilo, who grabbed her by the arm, and pulling her towards the closed curtain. "Who was that, your boyfriend?" He mocked with a laugh, shifting into the figure of Emilio.