vii. disaster

     VALENTINA PULLED EMILIO through the tight corridors, navigating the twists and turns easily

     VALENTINA PULLED EMILIO through the tight corridors, navigating the twists and turns easily. He didn't question her for she seemed to know exactly who or what she was looking for. He froze when they came upon a massive pit which Valentina jumped across with ease.

     "Come on," she encouraged. "It's not as bad as it looks." Trusting her words, he slowly made each jump, making it to the other side in one piece.

     "Where are we?" Emilio asked, taking in all the surroundings

     "Inside the house," she answered, furrowing her brows as she kept up her fast pace. "If we need answers about the vision, there's only one person who would know what it means and what to do."

     Emilio's eyes widened. "Are you looking for..." he asked, trailing off.

     "My dad?" Valentina finished the sentence. "Yeah. If we need answers, he's the only one who would know."

     They kept going for a bit more, squeezing through narrow corridors until Valentina found what she was looking for. A plain door, seemingly where no one would even think to ever check. Valentina didn't hesitate to knock, bouncing on her feet as she waited for her dad to eventually answer.

     Emilio watched as the door swung open, revealing who he assumed to be Bruno. The man was a mess of unruly black hair with touches of gray that showed his age, and was rather thin and unkept. The man smiled as he realized it was Valentina, not even noticing Emilio until a few seconds later. Judging by how eerily similar the two looked, he definitely knew that was the Bruno he heard about.

     "Mi vida, what's wrong?" Bruno asked in concern, pulling the two inside the little room he stayed in.

     Valentina took in a deep breath, trying to get her nerves under control. "Mirabel and I broke into your room and we found the vision you had that night, then I had a vision of my own which was full of the house cracking, and we were at dinner and Abuela saw both of the visions, and I don't know what to do." Valentina explained, barely able to finish as she couldn't even think straight at that point.