xi. reunited

AS THE TWO finally made it through the mountains, Valentina was confused on what or who they were even looking for

AS THE TWO finally made it through the mountains, Valentina was confused on what or who they were even looking for. She saw some signs of a path, and some footprints left in the dirt, but other than that all she was just trees.

     Eventually she could make out some sort of clearing ahead of them. "Look," she pointed out, catching her fathers attention. She squinted her eyes, somewhat able to make out a river and what looked like two people standing in the water.

     As the two slowly got closer, a swarm of golden butterflies surged forward. "Butterflies," Bruno whisper, urging the horse to run faster in the direction they were headed, pulling Valentina from her daze.

     She was finally able to make out the figure of Mirabel in the lake with someone else she couldn't quite see. Valentina was overjoyed that her cousin was safe and in one piece. Valentina was startled as all off a sudden the horse jumped through a bush, joined by her father shouting, "She didn't do this! We gave her a vision!"

     The horse came to a stop and Bruno slid off, landing on his feet for a second before falling onto the dirt. Valentina laughed, hopping down to help him up. "It was me! I was like – Go! – and they were like – pfft!" Valentina looked up, making eye contact with a shocked Mirabel and Abuela.

     "They only wanted to help! I don't care what you think of me or my daughter, but if you're too stubborn to —" Bruno continued, finally ready to confront Abuela, but was interrupted as the older woman quickly embraced him as tight as she could. "I feel like I missed something important," Bruno realized.

     Abuela gave Bruno an affection look before starting to move towards Valentina who shuffled her feet anxiously. "Abuela, I'm —" She started with a deep breath, ready to apologize for everything she had said.

     "Valentina," Abuela interrupted, "Everything you said, you were right. I was so hard on you, and I'm so, so sorry." Valentina smiled, hugging Abuela before she could even finish what else she was going to say. "I'm so proud of you."

"Come on," Mirabel urged, walking towards the horse. Abuela took Valentina's hand, following behind Mirabel who helped Abuela onto the horse.

"Whats happening?" Bruno asked as he helped Valentina onto the horse. "Where are we going?"