v. bruno's tower

VALENTINA WOKE UP the next morning feeling like she had been trampled by ten donkeys

VALENTINA WOKE UP the next morning feeling like she had been trampled by ten donkeys. She had vague memories of the night prior, but she remembered seeing her father clear as day. She somewhat remembered falling asleep, but no clue how she got back to her bed.

She laid back down, only for her bed to be rocked by casita, almost throwing her to the floor. She got up with a groan, haphazardly getting dressed by stumbling out of her room, half awake. She trudged down the stairs to join the rest of her family who was starting to sit down at the table already.

Valentina silently grabbed a cup of coffee, passing by Camilo who had a plate of food that towered past his head. "Rough night?" He laughed, almost getting tripped by Valentina in return, almost dropping his plate.

     Valentina took her usual spot between Isabela and Dolores, choosing to lay her head down on the table instead of joining their conversation like she usually would. "Val, are you okay?" Dolores asked in her usual timid tone. Valentina shook her head, and the two girls shared a quick worried glance for the girl was usually full of energy by now.

Dolores got up from her seat, going to find her mom. She alerted her mom who quickly made her way over to the girl, a raincloud forming over her head as she kneeled down beside Valentina. "Hey," Pepa asked calmly, something that didn't happen often. Instead of putting up a fight, Valentina allowed her head to rest on her aunts shoulder. "Mamá, I'm taking Valentina to her room."

     Before Abuela could protest, Pepa was helping her up and leading the tired girl inside. "You know not to overdo it," she scolded, opening the bedroom

     "I know," Valentina whined, sinking into her bed. She reached over to grab her stuffed bear, hugging it to her chest.

     "Get some rest, okay?" Pepa covered the girl with her blanket before slipping out the room. Despite the grudge Pepa held against her father, she truly did care for Valentina, loving her like she was her own daughter.