xii. a new beginning

     One thing Valentina never thought she would get would be a happy ending

One thing Valentina never thought she would get would be a happy ending. Life in the encanto returned somewhat to normal with the Madrigals helping out with the village, but this time that townspeople pitched in more instead of leaving it all to the family.

     Valentina and Emilio kept going strong, attending Dolores and Mariano's wedding with the rest of the family. The Madrigals quickly accepted Emilio as part of the family, and they were all overjoyed whenever Emilio proposed years later.

     Their wedding day went by as a success, the entire village coming together to decorate and celebrate. The day turned out beautiful, the town decorated in flowers of bright, amazing colors from Isabela. Bruno did his best to not get emotional, but ended up failing.

     Everything was great, and when Valentina found out she was pregnant, they were as happy as could be. Despite wanting to keep it a secret, it quickly proved almost impossible. Dolores knew first and it didn't take Bruno long to find out either, and the whole family began to suspect whenever spaces for new doors began to form.

She eventually gave birth to triplets, two girls and a boy — Elena, Lucia, and Nicolás. The entire family helped, but the triplets became especially attached to Bruno, often sneaking to his room when their parents weren't look. Like the rest of the Madrigal children, they got excited as their fifth birthday neared for it was their turn to get a gift.

Valentina kneeled on the ground, trying to straighten Nicolás' shirt, but he moved almost every two seconds to annoy his sisters. Emilio chased down Lucia, eventually getting her to just get her shoes on, while Elena was getting her hair braided by Pepa and complained the entire time.

The entire townspeople gathered in the courtyard, the kids lighting sparklers while the adults chatted amongst themselves. Everyone was excited for it was the first gift ceremony since they rebuilt the house and the miracle.

"Abuelo!" Lucia cheered as Bruno slipped into the courtyard, immediately being hugged by two of his grandchildren. "We get our gift today! What do you think it's going to be!" They rambled which made Bruno and Valentina laugh.

"I don't know, but it's going to be super special," he teased, only making the kids more excited than they already were. "It's almost time," he notified Valentina, who was fussing with last minute adjustments to Elena's outfit.

"Already?" She exclaimed, unaware that time had already gone by that quickly. "Okay," she breathed, gathering the three over to the curtain.

"Is it time?" Nicolás shouted.

"Almost. Abuela is going to give a little speech first," she instructed. "Your father and I are so proud of you no matter what happens, okay?"

"What if we don't get a gift?" The time it was Lucia.

"Then that'll be perfectly fine. Whether you do get a gift or you don't we'll love all of you either way," Valentina said affectionately, giving all three of them a kiss on the forehead.

"Your mothers right," Emilio spoke up, kneeling down to his kids. "Look at your Tía Mirabel. She didn't get a gift and she's still super strong and brave."

"I want to be like Tía Mirabel!" Lucia shouted in excitement.

"Mi vida, it's time," Bruno poked his head in again.

"We'll be waiting at your doors, okay?" Valentina assured them, making sure they stayed put behind the curtains.

Valentina and Emilio exited the curtain, greeted by the massive crowd of people. "Come on," She whispered to Bruno, pulling him up the stairs with them. He was about to say something, but Valentina stopped him. "They'd want you up there with them, trust me."

"Over fifty years ago, my husband Pedro sacrificed himself, and we were blessed with a miracle," Abuela began, stood on the same steps the led to the three unformed doors. "Now, six years ago, this family got a new miracle. We're gathered here tonight to celebrate three new children into the light."

Abuela made her way up the stairs, watching with a soft, affection smile as the curtain pulled to reveal the triplets at the bottom. When all the attention fell on them they suddenly fell shy, not moving until casita gently pushed on their feet to get them going.

One by one they slowly made their way up, looking to their parents who gave them proud smiles from above. The three came to a stop in front of Abuela who bent down so she was face level with the nervous three. "Are you ready?"

The three nodded in excitement, turning to face the doors. As the oldest, Lucia went up first, standing in front of her door. She grabbed the doorknob, watching in amazement as magic erupted from the doorknob, glowing brightly. The door formed, and Lucia all of a sudden just vanished in her spot before reappearing a few seconds later.

Nicolás and Elena went for their doors with Nicolás going first. His door appeared next, and he watched with wide eyes as the decorations began to float from the ground, moving to his command. For Elena, she seemed to glow as bright as the sun, and when she held out her hands, a ball of what appeared to be something like sunlight rested in her palms.

"We have new gifts!" Abuela announced, and the crowd below erupted into cheers and praise.

Valentina ran forward, pulling each of her kids into a hug. "I knew you guys could do it," she smiled, watching her kids gets excited with their gifts.

That night, after the town had gone home, Valentina and Emilio went about trying to get their kids to bed. Emilio was in charge of getting them to brush their teeth while Valentina grabbed a few of their things from the nursery for their new rooms from the night.

She tucked each of them into bed, knowing that at least one of them would end up migrating to their room or Bruno's room like usual. Valentina returned to her room where Emilio was already under the blankets, ready for bed.

"We have a cute little family," Emilio adored, pulling the blanket over them both as the light in their room flickered out, leaving only the moonlight shining in.

"We really do," Valentina smiled, allowing herself to drift off to sleep, the happiest she had been in a long time.