vi. time for dinner

     THE TWO GOT out of his room as quick as they could, not looking as they turned the corner and walking right into Abuela

     THE TWO GOT out of his room as quick as they could, not looking as they turned the corner and walking right into Abuela. "Where are you two coming from in such a hurry?" She asked, looking at the rather frazzled pair.

     "We were just–" Valentina started, trying to think of any excuse that sounded believable.

     "What is in your hair?" Abuela muttered, looking at the grains of sand that each girl was about covered in.

    They each shared a panic filled glance, hoping that they hadn't just been busted. Just as Abuela was starting to get suspicious, Luisa staggered up the stairs in a loud sob. "My gift! I'm losing my gift!"

     "What?" Abuela spluttered.

     "Mirabel and I were having this little talk about me carrying too much, so I tried not to carry so much but I realized it was putting me behind and I knew I was gonna let everyone down and felt really bad so I was grabbing all the donkeys but then when I went to throw the donkeys in the barn, they were," she paused with a deep breath. "heavy!" Luisa ran off, crying, while Abuela turned to the two girls.

     "What did you do?" She questioned. "What did you say to her?"

     "Nothing! I – I don't –" Mirabel stuttered, getting interrupted by Abuela.

     "I have to go get the Guzmans for Isabela's engagement," the older woman sighed. "Stay away from Luisa until I can talk to her. Tonight we can't have any more problems. And whatever you both are doing, stop doing it!" Abuela headed off, and behind her Luisa's door began to flicker.

     "Valentina!" Tía Pepa shouted, looking around the courtyard below for the girl.

     Mirabel went off to her room while Valentina slipped downstairs to see what was needed. "I'm right here!" She answered, noticing Pepa was carrying a basket.