chapter 1

Ruth

Ruth.

7 years later.

TODAY WAS the day I was finally getting a job.

It has taken me a lot of courage to actually get up and get a job because simply--I'm a lazy person.

I hated getting up in the mornings, I hated school and getting ready, I hated chores. But overall, I hated jobs the most.

They were something you had to commit to, you couldn't just give up on them or leave it for another day.

It just didn't work like that.

Currently, I was on my way to the library--that was where I wanted to get a job.

I discovered 'Ithaca Library' when I was around 10 years old. I remember crying over someone, and I ran off. All I wanted to do was find somewhere to cry and feel safe. Then I found the library. At first, I thought it was abandoned by the look of it on the outside, but then I soon discovered that it was so beautiful. 

A misunderstood type of beautiful because with no hesitation I could guess about everyone in this town has walked past it and not blinked an eye because I couldn't lie and say the building on the outside does the library justice—it doesn't.

It had rusty brick walls and a beaten down entrance door. The windows were dirty and looked like they hadn't been cleaned since the 1980s.

No justice at all.

As of now, I was walking down the pavement in a small town called Ithaca in New York City.

It was small, quiet, peaceful.

I liked it.

most of the time.

Sometimes I felt lonely, knowing that I didn't have much friends, admittedly.

But it was okay.

who needs friends when all you need is yourself at the end of the day?

It was fall in Ithaca, the leaves on the trees were bright and colourful, the animals were gathering food for hibernation in the winter, and in the morning the air was thick fog and fresh dewdrops.

I loved it.

It was my favourite season.

I looked around.

Many people weren't out at this time in the morning, it was too cold, too early for them.

It normally was for me, but today was a special day.

It was our anniversary.

 I didn't want to think it was a special day but I couldn't help it. It made me think of him.