chapter 11

Ruth

Ruth.

I MISSED the way I use to be.

I missed the way I use to wear bright, colourful summer dresses when it was warm, not even second guessing the way my body looked it in it. I missed the way I use to laugh at my own jokes, believing that they were the funniest jokes on earth. I missed the way I could make friends so easily just by going up to them and making conversation, like it was second nature.

I missed the old me.

I was at the library, absolutely bored out of my mind.

Mr.McRae was at home with Mrs.McRae today, there was no serious reason he wasn't here, because before he left the library yesterday, he said and I quote:

"I'm not going to be at the library tomorrow, because I want to spend some time with my wife. So get your ass down there to open up tomorrow morning."

How nice of him.

I kept glancing at the door, silently begging someone to walk in so I didn't have to drown in my own thoughts any longer.

Unfortunately, I didn't expect anyone was going to be waltzing in here anytime soon, as this place basically looks abandoned from the outside--no offence to Mr.McRae though. I genuinely remember thinking it was actually was abandoned when I took my first glance at it. Though I did have to say that the rustic, brick look of it on the outside definitely fitted the aura if the library--mysterious, misunderstood and kind of lonely.

However, according to Mr.McRae there was a time when the library was thriving. Everyone was always buying books, talking with Mr.McRae. But then, the town got older, along with the people, the library, Mr.McRae. No new tourists were visiting the town, and then Ithaca just became... quiet.

The sound of the door opening, signalling that someone had just walked in.

My shoulders rise in hope, thinking it might be Mr.McRae checking in on me.

But my shoulders sink when I realise it's someone else. Their grey hood was up shielding their face, so I couldn't tell who it was. But I think I could take a wild guess.

"Elijah?" My word comes out in a questioning tone, seemingly surprised he was here.

He lifts his head up, proving me to be right. He was stood in front of the desk that I was stood behind. His dark brown hair was peaking out from his hood and laid floppily on his forehead. Darker circles were prominent under his eyes, indicating to me that he possibly hasn't been sleeping very well.

"Hi." He breathes out, making eye contact with me.

I feel my heart speed up at the slight action, making me scold my heart for betraying me silently.

"What are you doing here?" My eyebrows furrow, puzzled at why he was here so early on a Friday morning.

He answers quickly, "That old man that owns this library told me that I had to accompany you and help you today or he would hire his hitman on me?" He chuckles slightly, probably remembering his conversation with Mr.McRae.

I groan loudly into my hands that were covering my face as I respond, "I am going to kill him." I mumble quietly.

Elijah waves me off, silently smiling at me as he watches my reaction.

"You know you could of like... not came right? He doesn't actually have a hitman." I look up at him expectantly, wondering as to why he's actually shown up.

He glances down at the dirty floor, staying silent until finally his lips part, "I wanted to come." Is all he says, but only those four words has my heart speeding up and my face feeling all flustered.

I purse my lips in an attempt to hide my smile but it seems merely impossible right now.

"Don't do that." His blank voice stops me and makes me turn towards him.

"What?"

"Don't hide your smile. It's too pretty." Elijah's eyes soften as he speaks, probably watching in amusement as my face slowly turns red, making me turn away and pretend to sort out some books behind me.

I could hear a deep chuckle from behind me as he watches me silently panic.

The door suddenly opens for the second time, making me turn around to face the door.

This time I absolutely expected it to be Mr.McRae but my face shows an expression of surprise when I realize it's another boy. And he seemed to be my age.

I look at him speculate the library, skimming round the room before making eye contact with me at the desk.

I smile politely at him and he returns it before turning to the very tall person next to me. Watching as his eyes widen, his smile slowly diminishing into a faint line, fear prominent in his eyes.

My eyes narrow and I leisurely turn towards Elijah, who is glaring daggers at the poor boy, his jaw was clenched and he looked about ready to throw the scared boy out the building.

My elbow jabs into his side gently, making him glance down at me, his eyes softening instantly.

"What are you doing?" I grit out, trying to stay professional.

He has the audacity to pretend to act clueless, "What? I'm not doing anything." Elijah replies innocently.

"Your scaring our customer away." I complain, glancing back at the terrified boy, who was slowly inching towards the door.

He scoffs, "I'm sorry gracie, but he just has a bad vibe out about him." 

I ignore the fact he uses my old nickname, "He just seemed like a poor, innocent boy who wanted nothing but to buy a flipping book!" I wave my hands to the now gone boy as he basically ran out of the library.

"Well if so innocent, he seemed to smile at you a bit to fucking friendly if you ask me." He mutters coldly, his eyes hardening.

I groan, "He only smiled at me. He could of been a possible friend." I point out sadly, looking at his now softer expression.

"You have me." He mumbles.

I sigh, "Okay. Elijah you haven't been here for seven years," I emphasise on the seven. "You have no idea how lonely it gets in this town, so when you see a face you don't recognise, you jump at the opportunity to talk to them. Even if it's just for a breath of fresh air, and maybe you never talk to them again, but it's just something new." I explain deeply, trying to make him understand my point of view.

I watch his face contort into one of guilt, "I'm sorry Ruth. It just felt like pure instinct to.. protect you I guess. The way I use to. I don't fucking know." He speaks, looking utterly done with himself.

My heart aches at his expression, "Hey, don't look so hard on yourself. It's okay. Just please be more considerate of me next time, okay?" I make him look into my eyes.

He nods hesitantly, making me smile slightly.

he's learning and that makes me happy.

maybe we could be best friends again.

....

A/N:

GUYS THERE IMPROVING...until the next chapter HAHAHA, jk...maybe

i love you guys and thank you so much for the love and support.

also, we got to see a bit of jealous eli ;)

-b.