chapter 10

Ruth

Ruth.

I DECIDED to ride my bike to the library today.

It seemed like a good idea to start with-- until I realized that I hadn't ridden my bike for 4 years.

And now I was panicking.

"Oh gosh!" I screech as I cling onto my bike handles for dear life, hoping their going to somehow guarantee my safety.

I was pedaling down the street, my helmet so tight around head that I think it was going to cut off my blood circulation to my brain, and now I was even more panicked.

well done ruth, you've just gone and worried yourself more.

The vague memory I have of riding my bike was when I was fourteen. It was one of the first times I had felt happy after the last year, like genuinely happy. My parents were home and they were cooking my favourite dinner--sausage, mash and gravy. classic. My mum has persuaded me to go for a walk, but I decided to take my bike instead. I pedaled down the street, a bright smile on my face. That was until I managed to pass our spot and then it all just came crashing down again. 

i didn't ride my bike again for 4 years.

It was like my mood was so dependent on him and I hated they way he had that control over me.

Speaking of him.

Even though I hated to admit it, I felt awful about yesterday.

I still believe he only came because he felt pity for me, but that gave me no right to act like that. Especially after what he said before leaving my house. I really couldn't lie and say it didn't tug at my heart strings.

only a little though, okay.

So if I saw him today, I was going to-- as you call it, apologize.

I sigh and realize that I've stopped right outside the rustic building that I've become so use to seeing.

I park my bike up at a bike rack and don't bother putting a lock on it.

it was brave, i know.

But I had been in this small town for long enough to know that the people here have no care or desire for stupid things like bikes.

I walk into the library, craving one of Mr. McRae's hugs. I soon spot him sat at his chair behind his wooden desk, but as I go to make my way to him, I notice he isn't alone and was actually talking to somebody.

why does he seem to turn up everywhere

Cowardly, I make the decision to exit the library but it doesn't seem that luck is on my side today.

"Ruth! Come here honey! Where are you going?" Mr.McRae's voice makes me go rigid.

I close my eyes in dread and slowly turn around to face the pair. I catch Elijah's eyes almost instantly, as if they just naturally drew towards each other.