chapter 8

Ruth

Ruth.

THE FEELING of sadness washes over me like a flood of waves.

I just can't forgive him.

He let me down, more than anyone could ever do. He tossed me away like I was nothing but a piece of trash to him and now seven years later, he's back, expecting me to forgive him so easily.

I was finally content, not happy, just happy enough to ignore the sadness.

And now he's completely ruined that.

I was rushing down the pavement, passing little shops and autumn trees, not glancing back once behind me.

It was early evening but because it was fall, darkness had already fell onto the town. I liked to think that the sun was tired in the seasons of autumn and winter, giving the moon a chance under the spolight-- if that makes sense at all.

Though there was still a faint light in the sky, guiding me towards the willow tree.

that's how i was going to think of it anyway.

I made it up the hill to my spot, spotting my willow tree in the distance.

It was in the shadows, the shape of the tree outlined in the dark, making it clear to still see.

I walk forward, but I stop almost instantly, nearly tripping over my own feet when I see a figure leant up against the tree trunk of the willow tree.

My body goes rigid, when I figure out exactly who that is.

Elijah.

Suddenly, a wave of anger builds up inside of me, which leads me to my next actions.

"No. No. No." I repeat whilst storming towards him.

At the sound of the commotion, his head turns in my direction.

My steps falter when I see him.

His hood was up, shadowing his face, though I could still make out his defined jaw, which was slightly clenched. He was holding a cigarette in his fingers, taking a drag of it as he stares back at me.

My anger quickly diminishes and worry sets in, "Smoking's bad for you, you know."

He tilts his head back onto the bark of the tree trunk.

"That's the point." He answers back blandly, completely disregarding my statement when he takes another drag of his cigarette.

okay then.

Elijah inhales the smoke, it slowly drifting out his parted lips, evaporating into the air.

I sigh tiredly and place myself down next to him on the grass.

I was mentally to tired to argue with him right now.

He turns his head to look at the side of my face, "What are you doing?" He breathes out.