Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day was possibly one of Annabeth's least favorite holidays. She found it pointless and stupid and a waste of money. It was even worse this year, with her and her boyfriend being too busy with school to even see each other, especially because their schedules seemed to oppose each other. His breaks were her class times and vice-versa. She's pretty sure he forgot about the holiday anyways.

"Annabeth! Look at what Hallie got me!" Alyssa, her roommate exclaims, barging into their dorm with a bouquet of flowers, a giant stuffed tiger, and a box of chocolates.

Annabeth smiles. "That's great, Aly." She tried not to sound to disappointed, but how could she not be. She got no time with her boyfriend, and she didn't get anything for the stupid holiday anyways.

"What's wrong, Annabeth?" Alyssa asks. She looks around the room and notices that there wasn't any flowers or chocolate, or anything special. "Oh."

Annabeth smiles gently and turns back to her math work.

"Percy didn't... he didn't get anything?" She asks. "I thought you guys were like..."

"It's okay. We haven't really been able to see each other recently with school and stuff. Our schedules seem to hate each other or something. They're completely opposite. By the end of the day we're both worn out and everyone's supposed to be away in there dorms anyways. We'll call and text, but I haven't seen him in person in weeks. I'll survive. I've gone without him for longer, at least this time I know where he is." She sighs. "I hate this dam holiday anyways."

Alyssa looks at her friend, pitying that she has to deal with not being able to see Percy. She knew how much Percy meant to her. He was her whole world. She dreamed of the day that her and Hallie could have half of what they had. Her words wouldn't help, but she said them still. "I'm sorry, Annabeth."

"It's fine. Nothing we can do about it. Percy and I will just have to figure something out. We always do." Alyssa nods, trying to think of something, anything, to help her friend. But she wasn't the master strategist like Annabeth was.

"What does he have going on right now?"

"He's in his main course. The minute he gets out of that, I'm supposed to be all the way across campus for mine. I'm telling you, our schedules are out to get us."

"I'm sure if you talked to the director she'd try to make arrangements. Everyone knows how important you are to each other."

"It's fine." Alyssa knew it wasn't. "I'm going to be late to class, I better get going. If you see Percy in math later, tell him I said Happy Valentine's Day, even though I bet he forgot about it." She grabs all of her blueprints and throws them in her bag, slamming the door to the room shut and heading to her next class.

Late that night, she falls into her bed, exhausted from school and studying. Alyssa was already fast asleep, holding the stuffed animal that her girlfriend had gotten her close to her chest.

She hears a the window rattle from the wind. She turns her head, so her ears were covered by the pillow and closed her eyes. Then, it rattles again. Annoyed with the weather, she moves to the window to yell at Zeus. That's when she sees a familiar face.

She throws open the window. "Percy!" She whispers excitedly, trying not to wake Alyssa, although that didn't matter much, because her roommate slept through anything.

"Hey Wise Girl. I'm sorry I didn't see you today, or at least call. I hope you're up for an adventure." Suddenly, she forgot about how tired she was. It all fell behind her and her thoughts swarmed of Percy. A million different memories.

"I'm up for anything as long as I'm with you." He smiles and takes her hand in his.

"Come on then. I'm surprised Zeus hasn't struck me down yet with how high I had to go to get up here. Did you really have to be on the top floor?"

"How'd you get up here anyways?" He taxi whistles and if it weren't for the light of the full moon, she wouldn't have been able to make out the midnight fur of Blackjack. He neighs and snorts.

"Yes, I'll get you donuts. Just help me out first, okay? Can you take Annabeth and I to where we need to go?"

They climb onto his back, Annabeth wrapping her arms around Percy. "I've missed you," She whispers against the back of his neck. He squeezes her hand.

"I've missed you more. You know how hard school's been without you to help me get through it?"

She smiles. "You're overdramatic and like to make things sound more difficult than they are. You're also smarter than you get credit for, Percy. I know it isn't that difficult for you to get through schooling, especially because this schooling you can actually read the language of."

"It's still boring and the only class that doesn't make me want to cry is Marine Biology. I wish I had you there because you would make me feel better. You'd also tell me to shut up and deal with it."

"I would say that," she thinks aloud. "And it's true, you need to. I'm not going to be at your side every hour of the day."

"I think they should make a rule that you need to be so that way you never have to leave me alone ever again."

"I wish that was a thing. You think I like never seeing you? It's been weeks, Percy." She turns her head that rested on his shoulder and pressed a kiss to his neck. "I love you so much, but I don't think I'm going to make it if we have to continue this semester without seeing each other."

"That's why I'm doing this. We're going to see each other every day from here on out."

"Percy, you can't sneak me out of my dorm every night."

"Then it's a good thing that I won't need to."

"Then how are we going to see each other?" She had been so caught up in him that she missed all the details that they flew by. Idiot, she thought to herself. You can't ignore everything because you're with your boyfriend.

"Annabeth, I welcome you to our new and improved apartment together." He points straight ahead. Her eyes widen in shock. He turns sees her face and stumbles with his words. "I mean... if you want to... umm we don't have to... we can go back to our dorms..." She cuts him off with a kiss.

"Percy, I want this. It's the start to... everything. Gods, Percy, you really did this? You got us a home together?"

"Yeah. Reyna said they're the finest in the city when I last talked to her. I know last year we weren't able to stay together, but we talked about it for this year and I got a big discount because of my praetorship and thanks to Hazel and Frank." He led her up the stairwell and pulled out a key when they got to theirs. He swung the door open and inside there laid a bouquet of flowers with a box of chocolates and a giant owl stuffed animal, it's wings holding a heart. There was also a gift wrapped in red heart paper.

"Percy," she gasps, seeing the gifts and a table set with a candlelit dinner.

"Do you like it?" He asks. "I know it's not decorated the best but-"

"Percy! I love it!" She turns to look at him. "You did this?"

He nods and she kisses him hard on the lips. They kiss for a long time, being weeks since they last did so. Suddenly, Annabeth pulls away.

"I didn't get you anything!" She exclaims. He presses a gentle kiss to her forehead.

"You being with me is enough." She smiles up at her boyfriend. They pick up the gifts that lay on the ground and set them on the table. They enjoy their pasta dinner while it's still warm and waiting for them. Annabeth opens the box. Inside was a silver bead with the words "As Long as We're Together" engraved on the one side and an A+P engraved on the other.

There's no bed in their room and no couch yet, because the previous owners took it, but those would be simple fixes. Besides, it gave Annabeth more freedom to design. So instead of sleeping on the couch or the bed, they pile blankets that Percy had bought on the floor and hold each other close.

And in the end, Annabeth didn't find the holiday so stupid. She realized that it was a sweet day to be with the person you loved.

I know it's a little late, but I just got back from a bball game that I left for right after school. I hope you enjoyed and Happy Valentine's Day!

Did you celebrate with anyone? My best friend (who I joke is my wife, we literally had a wedding with our friends) and I got each other giant stuffed animals and a bunch of candy and flowers.