Chapter Fourteen: The Black Market

Mia sat in her chair with her hands in her lap as she observed Gavin with an attentive gaze. Her question had utterly dumbfounded her ordinarily quick-witted husband. His eyes bore through her, and she wished she could ask him what he was hiding. Vampire hunters were after him, but as Hennessy, her birth father, had pointed out, Gavin could not be a vampire. She saw him in sunlight and witnessed him eating human food to know he was human, but she had never seen him drink a person's blood. Yet, his eyes spoke for themselves. Could he be a monster?

Mia stared down at her hands and thought about the best way to approach the subject. She should say something about his condition, or else he might find her lack of a reaction suspicious. But what should she say? Mia did not want him to know he had frightened her.

She glanced up and admitted, "I noticed your eyes changed before the meeting started."

Gavin snapped out of his musings and opened his mouth to respond to her, but Mia held up her hand to stop him.

"Please, let me finish," she told him. He nodded and sagged back into his chair. "I don't understand what's happening, and I know you can't tell me everything right now. But I am not afraid of you."

Gavin reached for her but then quickly withdrew. She noticed the fear on his face, and Mia grabbed his hand and held onto him.

"Don't touch me," Gavin rasped, pulling his hand away from hers.

"Please let me help you."

He confessed brokenly, "You would hate me if you knew the truth."

"I could never hate you," Mia assured in a voice soft with affection.

Gavin turned away from her. It took all his willpower to control his blood lust. His heightened senses drove him mad, for he wanted nothing more than to sink his teeth into her neck. He did not trust himself only to take a few drops because he feared he would kill her.

"If you learn my secret, I know you'll leave me."

"No," Mia said with an agonized cry. "How can I prove I will never hate you or leave you? If you'll only trust me, Gavin."

"I do trust you," Gavin vowed in a gruff voice. "But... I do not want to lose you, so please, Mia, stay away from me. I can't control myself, and I don't want to hurt you."

Mia searched his eyes and then finally took a step back. She nodded and told him, "I will do what you ask. One day when you truly trust me, will you tell me the truth?"

The door opened to the conference room before Gavin could answer. Taylor stepped in without making a sound and observed the situation before he strode toward Gavin.

"Sir, I brought the medicine you asked for," Taylor announced crisply. "I also had it delivered as you ordered."

He set down a small bag in front of Gavin on the table. Mia observed her husband's odd behavior as Gavin quickly pulled out a flask of whiskey and a bottle of pills. After downing the whiskey and medicine, Gavin's eyes returned to their usual shade of silver.

Taylor gathered the items on the table and departed the room, saying nothing. Mia's shocked expression filled Gavin with anxiety. He dreaded saying the words, but he must tell her soon.

"I know you don't understand. But I promise I will tell you everything. Please be patient until I'm able," Gavin explained.

"You promised not to hurt me." She took his hand in hers and continued, "And you didn't. I will wait, Gavin. I trust you."

Gavin lifted her hand to his lips and kissed her knuckles. "Thank you for believing in me."

He released her and stood, but his phone rang. He answered it and moved away to take the call. Gavin said softly after a weary sigh, "Do whatever you have to separate them... Yes, I understand. You cannot send women and children out together... I don't want to hear your excuses."