3

The breakfast Akkar prepared this morning was one of Lavinia's favorites. She hadn't requested the ensemble, but after last night's nearly disaster of dinner, he wanted her to enjoy the next meal she had. He was awful considerate. I'm glad he was such an essential piece of our family.

I looked up from my plate to see my sister sulking slightly as she worked away at what was sitting on her plate. My mother looked very deep in her own whirlwind of thoughts. This would be one of the quietest breakfasts in a long time.

I wasn't entirely fond of any of the men that had come to win my sister's affection. None of them carried the elegance that my sister held so eloquently. Endermen in rule carried a certain amount of class and these men all seemed more like warlords. Where were the men of the kingdoms?

I felt pity for my sister even deeper than yesterday. Finding a suitor from the Overworld was one of the main points of what she wanted to do going forward in the End. If she didn't find someone to marry from the Overworld, her plan may be in shambles.

"You know," Mother said breaking the silence in the room. I even saw Lavinia jump slightly in her seat. "We could always leave the men of the Overworld to their own land, find you a nice noble Enderman to marry and we could go on our plan to unite with the Nether."

"That is an excellent idea!" I said lighting up in my seat. My sister didn't look nearly as excited by this idea as I felt. Maybe the failure of last night wasn't so easily forgotten.

Maybe she could even find a suitor in the Nether. I heard that the Piglin are very charming in their trading, I'm sure one could sweep her off her feet. Or maybe even a Wither skeleton man. I've heard they are very tall and brooding. That seems to be my sister's type anyway.

I was getting ahead of myself. I was practically already finding the man for my sister. I wasn't even sure if Mother's plan to unite us with the Nether included finding my sister's suitor there. Although it made the most sense, marriage was a bond hard to break.

"I'm so glad you think so, darling! I will need your help in the matter, after all," Mother said with a bright smile. I always loved helping my mother with her Queen duties, I felt honored she wanted my help.

"Mother, can we please save this for another time?" Lavinia said quietly from her seat. I glanced at her but had to take a double-take when I saw the expression on her face. My sister was stressed often, but she wasn't ever frantically worried the way she was now.

It wasn't often that she made a face like the one she was making now. I had only seen it in true moments of stress. She didn't even make this face last night when she was nervous to meet the man she might marry. This look undoubtedly put fear in my own heart at the piece of information I was missing.

"I think this is a wonderful time, Lavinia," Mother said turning to her with a strict look. That was her 'don't question me' look. "Your sister does seem rather interested with the idea after all."

When I looked at my sister, she looked down in a very obvious look of defeat. There was another emotion on her face. Regret? Sadness? I couldn't place it, but I was more worried about what she didn't want Mother to tell me.

"Should I be concerned, Mother?" I said trying to keep a light-hearted grin on my face. She gave her award-winning etiquette smile and looked at me kindly. I knew now if I hadn't before that this was not news that I was going to like. She only gave her political smile when she was about to upset you.

"Not at all! I'm so happy to hear you think expansion into the Nether is a good idea! Especially since you will play such a vital role in the whole thing."

What could she be hinting at? I wish she would just get to the point already because I felt like I was sweating with nerves. Which rarely happened with the cold temperature of the End.

"I would love to hear more," I said trying to keep up the appearance of royalty. I could not falter in a place with no privacy.

"Lovely! Your sister and I have been discussing," she said setting her utensils down and setting her chin atop her hands. "With your sister trying to use her hand in marriage to solidify a unity in the Overworld, you would be a wonderful asset to engaging with the Nether."

I nearly choked on the Chorus fruit I had just put into my mouth. Was she saying what it sounded like she was saying? It couldn't possibly be true. As second-born, I was supposed to have the option to choose. She couldn't possibly be telling the truth.

"Now (Y/N), don't look so pale! I've never seen your skin so close to being white!" She said picking up the utensils in front of her. She nearly giggled at her joke. It wasn't often that she upset me or Lavinia, but we typically just ignored it and moved on.

This was hands down the most upsetting thing she has ever said to me. I felt like I could cry, even though the tears burned my cheeks. There was no way this could really be happening. She had to be telling a joke or something.

"You're marrying me off to a Nether king?" I said trying to choke back the intense emotions my throat was fighting to unleash.

"Prince, actually. The King is most definitely not looking for a suitor and much too old for a princess of your age. His son is taking over the throne in a few months, and the King wishes to have him married before then. Saying something about how hard it has been to rule alone? I'm not sure." She spoke as if this were casual castle gossip. Like her head servant being pregnant. Not like her marrying her daughter off to potentially never see her again.

"May I be excused?" I asked, fighting the tears piercing the surfaces of my eyes. Mother looked at me confused but nodded slightly. I took the permission and stormed out of the meal hall, slamming the entry doors harder than I had intended.

The tears fell quickly, and the water burned my cheeks nearly as hard as my mother had burned my heart.