19

Alethea helped me hold off on attending dinners after I told her how I was feeling after the night with Techno. It had reached enough days where I was concerned they would send for a doctor to make sure I wasn't dying if I didn't attend dinners again, so I knew today would be the last day I could manage to avoid this.

King Erix had also sent a message with Alethea, an attempt to get me out of my rooms I'm sure, stating that I could walk the grounds as I wished now. He said something about having proved my loyalty to them with my performance at the ball. I was just grateful I could adventure to the courtyard on my own if I wished.

So I had decided that is what I would do today to try and combat my nerves about seeing Technoblade again. I would ease into dinner with the Piglin family by just walking the grounds. Maybe I could run into Ishton, and it would ease my way back into socializing with anyone but Alethea.

I couldn't ignore the small part of me that missed Techno. The small part of me that absolutely wanted to run into the tall Piglin man. I wanted to spend another night with him in the Warped Forest talking about nothing until the day faded away.

So that's why I found myself walking around the halls of the quiet fortress hoping to run into him. I felt a little bit like an idiot, passing through halls I'd walked through 10 times already this morning hoping to see him. I know I could just ask Alethea to tell him I'd like to see him, but I couldn't embarrass myself that easily.

I had wandered into parts of the fortress I had never even been to. I knew if any guards were paying attention to my movements, it would likely look incredibly suspicious. I wouldn't even know how to explain myself because I certainly would not be admitting to wanting to see Techno.

I had been at this for at least 45 minutes, and I was starting to feel like a bit of a fool. I decided that I would begin making my way to the courtyard, and if anyone asked why I had been all over this fortress, I could just say I was lost. It was one of the first times I had been walking around the fortress alone.

"Oh my, I'm so-" I said running into a large force after I rounded a corner. When I looked up, I nearly lost my entire thinking process. I was at a loss for words for the man that was standing in front of me.

"Oh hey, (Y/N). It's good to see you're feeling better," Techno said with a shocked smile. His face was slick with sweat, and he was dressed head to toe in golden armor. Every piece was tailored to fit his build excellently. You would have to be blind to not appreciate the sight in front of me.

"What?" I said unable to find words as I tried to stop myself from drinking in the sight of him. "Oh, yes! Yeah, I am feeling much better. Thanks for being so understanding about me missing dinners."

"Of course. Although I would have enjoyed the company now that we get along so well. You know how Ishton can be at dinner," he said with a soft chuckle. He scratched the back of his head and cast his eyes downward, a hint of nerves in his words. Why was he so attractive?

"I absolutely do," I said with a soft laugh. It was hard to resist looking him up and down in his armor. I assume he just came back from training. I had never seen him in a light like this before, and it was quite the sight to see.

"Will you be joining us for dinner tonight?" He asked. It was hard to miss the note of hopefulness in his voice.

"I will. I have grown bored of residing in my room alone. Alethea is only so much fun," I said trying to ignore how flushed I was becoming. I cast my eyes downward, in the hope to avoid how he was affecting me.

"She would not be happy to hear you say that," he said with a strong chuckle. His warmth regained my attention and I noticed the way his hair was thrown in every direction and damp with his sweat. He MUST have been training, to be this worked up.

"Were you training?" I asked, using my question as an excuse to look him up and down. The armor was tailored to fit his every muscle and crevice. There was no cape to hide his broad frame and muscular build. I had never felt as much of a love-struck young girl as I did right now.

"I was. It's my favorite way to calm down, and with the way things are going right now, I needed to calm down a little bit," he said looking a little sheepish. I hoped one day he would feel able to tell me about the things that stressed him out so much. I'm sure as Queen, I would know more of the Nether politics at least.

"Well, did it work? Or would joining me in my favorite place be a nice way to relax?" I said mustering up all of my courage to ask him to spend more time with me. His smile widened, and it sent chills down my spine.

"And what relaxing place would that be?" He said with a rather sneaky grin. The flush rose in my cheeks quickly once again. How could it not when he was looking at me like that?

"The courtyard," I said with a nervous laugh. The warm grin returned to his lips, and it felt like a game trying to guess what he was thinking.

"I should have known honestly," he said running a hand through his sweaty hair. "But I need to go take a shower before I start to smell. I wouldn't be very fun company at the moment."

"Oh you're right," I said pinching my nose and hiding the disappointment I felt. "You smell like you fell into a pit of suspicious stew."

"Oh you fowl thing," he said with a long smirk on his face. "Didn't anyone teach you manners?"

The laugh that worked it's way through me felt like a warm home. It felt like I had always dreamed of feeling when I married Akkar. Him being the cause of such a warm feeling left me feeling confused, but the confusion didn't matter. I was grateful that he was in my life. That he was the one I was sold away to spend my life with.

"I think we should get you into some lessons. Hasn't anyone ever told you to never turn down the opportunity at a date with your betrothed?" This caused a soft laugh to roar through his body. He ran that same hand through his damp hair and smiled.

"It would do me no better honor," he said linking his arm into mine, feeling the cool of his armor on my skin. "I'll take a short shower and meet you in the courtyard soon, alright?"

And so we walked until we met the courtyard and he departed. It was almost no time before he was back in my presence, freshly cleaned and smiling his warm smile. Melting into conversation was as natural, and the smile never left my face.