10

The warmth of the Crimson forest grounds kept me company until dinner time rolled around. I knew the trek to the dining hall would need to begin soon if I were going to make it on time. One time Ishton was late and he got a death glare from King Erix. I knew I wanted to avoid that glare at all costs.

After brushing off my gown, I met a guard outside the entrance that I had come through with Technoblade. He showed me to the dining hall, a short walk from the courtyard. When I entered, Ishton was sipping on a drink and trying desperately to talk to his father who seemed much more interested in the documents in front of him. Technoblade was nowhere to be found, but he typically arrived right on time.

"Good evening, Princess (Y/N)," King Erix said kindly, cutting off Ishton.

"Good evening, King Erix," I said before taking my seat beside where Technoblade would sit when he arrived. I looked across the table to see Ishton frustrated at his father's lack of care. I tried to politely smile at him as an apology, but he only shook his head and looked down, giving up on his attempt to impress his father.

Technoblade arrived a few minutes before dinner would be served. His hair looked mildly out of place, and his brain was obviously deep in work. I could only assume he came from a long session of military planning. It was how he spent his time if he wasn't training. At least that is what Alethea told me.

"Good evening brother," Ishton said with a sly smile. Although I wanted to believe that Ishton had a good heart, I couldn't ignore the mischievous expressions that hid under his grins. It always seemed as though he had a plan hiding under the surface.

"It's good to see you brother. I missed you in training this evening," Technoblade said before sitting down next to me. He looked at me and smiled politely before turning his attention back to his brother.

"Well you know I'm not much into the war aspects of royalty. I think you are invested enough in that for the both of us," he said quietly. He was obviously trying to speak low enough that his father wouldn't scold him. Technoblade remained unphased, and called for a drink before the meal.

"I hope you enjoyed your afternoon in the courtyard," Technoblade said turning toward me. He hadn't previously shown much interest in chatting with me before the meal, but I was grateful for the conversation. I typically spent most of dinner hoping that Ishton would shut up and eat his food so that I could go back to my rooms.

"I did," I said looking to the servant who brought his glass. "Thank you for showing me there."

"No problem at all, your highness," he said with a smile before taking a sip of his drink. I was beginning to develop whiplash with his inability to choose how he acted around me. At least Ishton was predictable.

Dinner was brought in and King Erix set his documents aside. I knew that he'd much rather be deep into his work than here at dinner, but it was tradition. It was what we all had to do when the dinner bell struck. Ishton tried speaking to his father again now that his documents were put away, but his father didn't seem much interested in what he had to say. It was nearly impossible ignoring the pang of sadness I felt for Ishton.

"Miss (Y/N)," King Erix said, turning toward me. I nearly choked on my food. He rarely talked to me. "A servant informed me that they saw you walking the palace halls unaccompanied. I hope you can understand that this could be rather alarming for us. You've only been here a week, and although I expect you to stay, it would be ignorant for me to not worry if you are truly loyal to our family. From here on out, you will be accompanied by staff of the royal family or you will not be allowed to walk the palace. Understood?"

It had been so unexpected, I didn't even know what to say. I couldn't even leave my rooms without the company of someone else? If I felt isolated before, this only furthered my feeling of being alone. I wanted to let my emotions fly, be frustrated and angry at this entire family's inability to care about me, but I knew that isn't how a princess would behave, and I tried to calm down.

"Father," Technoblade said before I could speak up. "Don't you think that's a little harsh? This is going to be Princess (Y/N)'s home. How will she feel it's home to her if she can't even walk freely?"

I looked at him in pure shock. Was he sticking up for me to his father? The same father he spent hours at dinner trying to please? I was nearly speechless. He had his brows furrowed in an irritated face. He was truly baffled by his fathers words, and I was baffled he cared enough to protest.

"This is not a matter meant for negotiation. These are the terms of (Y/N)'s residency until the wedding. Once we are sure we can trust her, then she will be allowed the palace as the rest of us are," he said, giving his son a very disapproving glare. "We will not be discussing this further."

Technoblade looked down to his plate of food and angrily took a bite of the meat on his plate. He wouldn't meet my eyes, so I let them fall back to my plate. Ishton broke the uncomfortable silence, talking to his father about something I didn't even quite understand.

Although Technoblade had stood up for me, I couldn't help the frustration I felt at his entire family for the way that they were treating me. After my family had told me of this engagement, I tried to allow myself to believe there was some sort of kindness under their surface. I thought there was a chance they would welcome me as family and it would be okay.

All they did was continue to isolate me. Technoblade may have tried to make it better, but he would not care for me enough to change his father's mind. I knew all I had was myself in this cursed dimension. I hadn't cried since I had made it to the Nether, but it was a battle to stop the tears burning their way down my cheeks.