8

Like I had guessed, I hadn't slept well. It had been an incredibly long night of twisting and turning in a bed foreign to me. It was much too hot to feel like I could stay under the plush blankets, and of course, I had this horrible breakfast to worry about.

He could end up being extremely kind. I could maybe even grow to love this man. I had no other option after all, but the rough exterior that Ishton had warned me about had made me feel incredibly unsettled about seeing him this morning. I wasn't sure what to wear, what to do, or how to feel.

"My lady," I heard a kind voice say from the parlor room of my apartments. I poked my head out of the walk-in closet that now belonged to me. "We will need to leave soon to meet Sir Technoblade for breakfast. Will you be ready?"

"Oh Alethea! I have no idea what to wear! Would you mind helping me?" I asked, feeling hopeful that she would be kind enough to help me with my outfit choice. She likely knew Technoblade better than I did. She looked shocked.

"You want my opinion on your attire? I hardly think I have the taste to decide on a royals-" I had to cut her off.

"That's just silly, Alethea. You are as capable as I am. Come in here," I said as I slid back into the closet. I listened for the swift and quiet footsteps of Alethea coming to the closet and was overjoyed when she actually came in. I wasn't sure she would actually indulge with me.

"I'm not sure what makes you think that I will have a better opinion than you, my lady, but I will try my best to advise you as best as I can," she said with a very serious look on her face. She looked stiff, like she wasn't sure if she should be doing this.

"You know these people better than I do, and truthfully, I have no idea where to begin in this closet," I said looking up at the vast options of ball gowns. "I mean seriously, how did they make me these many gowns before I even arrived? They don't even know my style yet!"

I thought I heard a small laugh from Alethea, and when I looked at her I knew that I had managed the small victory of making her laugh. She had a small grin on her face, one that spread across the dull pink of her lower face. The left side of her face looked as though it may be decaying, it was unlike any other species I had seen while here.

"You look very pretty with a smile on your face, Alethea," I said pulling a few of the gowns off the racks that caught my eyes. I could likely figure out my gown on my own, but I liked getting along with the serving class. It made for happier people all around.

"Thank you, your highness. You are much too kind," she said with a polite smile. Not like the genuine one she had shown before. One that had been trained into her. One that she had to give as part of her work.

I'd get her to open up eventually.

I laid the dresses out on the sofa in my parlor and looked to Alethea who seemed to be taking them in. I knew she likely had helped put them in the closet. Hell, she had probably helped in putting my entire apartments together.

"Prince Technoblade is a man who can't get enough red," she said looking toward the red dress I had picked out. It was floor-length and had thin straps over my shoulders. It was simple and elegant, but I had bored of the color red recently. "But he also loves confidence. He will likely enjoy if you pick a gown that makes you most confident. One that will show him who you really are."

"Well thank god," I said, turning toward her with a huge smile. "I'd be rather bored if I had to look at even more red." This caused a genuine laugh to erupt from her. She looked so genuinely happy, but she panicked when she saw me smiling at her. The smile left her face and she looked stoic again.

"We must be leaving soon, my lady (Y/N)," she said, taking her step back out of the parlor to stand at my door. I felt myself sigh. I had made a bit of progress with opening up Alethea to the idea of friendship at least.