Chapter 10

Gilbert was approaching with quick speed as he came down the hall. Every single footstep gave off a recognizable echo as the wood succumbed to the weight, which hardly helped his heart that was pounding with worry. He could see his expression looking less than pleased the closer he came. 

He swallowed hard. 

"What's up with that face" Gilbert said by the time he was a few meters away.

"M-My face?"

"Anyways." He stopped. "I haven't entered the room since he stumbled in... I just couldn't" 

The faded yellow lights bounced off the tired off-white walls, adding to the uneasy atmosphere that was created between the two. Feliciano crossed his arms unimpressed, giving no response.  

"I hid this because I thought it would help him. And in the process you" Gilbert explained, looking for an ounce of understanding from him. "I will admit it was mostly for my little brother"

"Really?" Feliciano questioned, biting his lip. Nothing in the appearance of the man in front of him showed signs of lying.

"I knew who you were from the first time we met, that baby face of yours hasn't changed at all. When we began talking I definitely thought you would recognize me. It was a huge surprise to me that you didn't, because I am quite the personality" Gilbert recalled with a dry tone. 

Feliciano nodded, encouraging him to continue. 

Gilbert was tired, evidently by the faded look in his eyes. "Ludwig was forever changed after that summer, despite it being more than a decade ago. We tried to make him open up and even gone so far as to seeing a therapist, but it just got worse"

His entire face dropped in disbelief. "You didn't ever think about telling me, I could help-"

"How?" His question was immediate.

Feliciano stopped.

"You're an emotional guy" Gilbert stated. "Don't act like you'd handle it any better"

"B-But" he stammered nervously. "You wouldn't kno-"

"Don't you think we have done our best? I've tried, and so has Roderich and Elizabeta. We hired various psychiatrists and nothing made it better." His voice threatened to break, but he continued. "Do you ever wonder why we're in this mansion and not the other one? It's just a miracle he didn't faint when you introduced yourself to him the first time. I don't know why you think you're so special, but tell me how you can save him unlike everyone else here"  

He had a point, but that didn't mean he would give up that easily.

"Unlike you and the others, only me and Ludwig know what we had between us" Feliciano replied with gritted teeth. His fists trembled with anger, he was holding them so tight it hurt. But if that was how Gilbert wanted to act, so be it. "Why did he disappear one day, can you tell me that Gilbert?" 

His eyes widened for a split second. His eyes refused to meet his own.

"Why would NOBODY tell me what happened to him either huh? Tell me Gilbert

Feliciano stepped forward until he was invading Gilbert's personal space, effectively putting pressure on the older man. 

Gilbert put up his hands defensively, making an invisible barrier between the two.

"There are circumstances you don't understand, things that made it turn out this way"  

"Go on"

"You see, our grandfather was severely ill and on his deathbed. It was an urgent call that summer day and we had to go home abruptly, as the oldest of the two I dragged him with me"