Chapter 22: Weak Daryl

After Henry was killed the camp kept silent. Shane didn't get more love either. Everyone hated him, but kept their mouth shut, scared to tell him off.

Daryl and Maria have been great. They haven't fought and Maria was being sweet again. She helps Maggie out with the farm a lot now, while Daryl keeps providing food. Today the group was going out to look for Sophia.

"I'm gonna take a horse. Get a better view." Daryl said leaning over the truck and pointing to the map. "Would it be possible if I joined?" Maria spoke up, walking over with a basket of peaches. "It's not up to me..." Rick said looking down. "Daryl?" He asked. Daryl thought long and hard about letting her go out today. She's been going back to her normal, innocent, sweet self and he didn't want that to be ruined all because she killed a walker or worse... Found Sophia as a walker. "Ya' sure 'bout that doll? Maybe ye' could go another time?" Daryl didn't want to tell her no and have her upset, so he tried to reason her into staying.

She thought about going with Daryl, but if he was taking a horse then she couldn't go with him. And she didn't want to be stuck with Andrea or Rick for hours in the woods. "I'll just stay back today." She said shrugging. Maria handed out peaches to the men as Rick gave out orders. She could see Glenn and Maggie kissing in the background. It was a good thing Maggie and Glenn got together because Daryl wasn't having it anymore with him liking Maria. Glenn wasn't a bad guy, he just knew what he wanted. And Maggie was what he wanted.

Turning to go back to camp, Daryl camps her in his arms. "Not even a kiss goodbye?" Maria put down the basket and planted a butterfly kiss on his lips. "C'mon! That wasn't nothin'!" He complained. "Well... If ya' make it back to me in one piece ye' can have the rest." She winked and continued back to camp.

Glenn walked over with more fruit to put in the basket. "Maria... Do you think we could talk?" He asked nervously like something was on his mind. "Yeah, I guess." She started folding clothes while Glenn spoke. "I'm sorry about everything. I thought Daryl abused you, and you're a really sweet girl. I just didn't want you to get hurt is all. We're a family here. But, now I see that Daryl is good for you... You two complete each other. I'm sorry about the kiss too and trying to kill Daryl, that was Shane's idea. You know I didn't have bad intentions and I'm just so sorry, I hope you-"

"Glenn! Calm down. I forgive ya'. I understand. Ya' liked me. Now ya' don't. All ya' have to do is talk to Daryl." She giggled while folding Daryl's shirt. "What! Are you insane? He wants to rip my head off." Maria started laughing and Glenn shook his head. "Maria! I'm serious. He wants to kill me." Glenn had a scared look on his face. "I'll help ya', but... I want something in return." Glenn nodded and agreed. "Anything." Maria didn't know why she was even going to ask but it was worth a shot. "I need ya' to get me a pregnancy test... Or two." Glenn's eyes went wide. "Pregnancy-!" "Shhh!" Maria smacked his bicep. "I'm sorry, but you're pregnant?" He whispered. "Just get me the test please?" She begged finishing the laundry. "Fine. I'll head out today."

While Glenn went to get Maria's pregnancy test, Daryl was face down in the dirt with an arrow through his side. Maria on the other hand was in the RV with Dale. "Has he always been like that? Rough around the edges?" Maria nodded and sipped her water. "He's had a tough life." Daryl raised his eyebrows, "Haven't we all? Even now. Life's tough."

Glenn arrived back with Maria's test. "Thanks, Glenn." She said and hugged him. "Don't tell anyone either."

"Don't worry about it." He said. Maria took the test back to her tent and placed them in her bag, hoping Daryl would see them. A few hours later while Andrea decided to be on watch and Maria was helping Carl with his homework since he was up and about again, Andrea shouted to the group. "Walker! Walker!" She looked down at the group. "Just the one?" Rick asked. "Yeah. I bet I can nail it." She said aiming her gun. "Hershel wants to handle walkers!" Rick shouted. "What's going on?" Carl asked. "Stay here bud," Maria said getting up.