Chapter 25: Mending

While most of the group helped clean up bodies, Maria went to sit in the RV. It wasn't long before Carol joined her to mourn the death of her daughter in the piece.

"She was sweet. I'm gonna miss her." Maria said thinking of Sophia and how she used to smile all the time. "Thank you," Carol said softly.

The sound of footsteps alerted them, and they both looked at the door when a certain person walked in.

Daryl didn't know what to say. He could tell Carol how sorry he was that he didn't find Sophia, but that wouldn't bring her back. And he could tell Maria how sorry he was for not trusting her, and that wouldn't mend their relationship.

"Daryl ye' should go," Maria spoke up. She didn't think that having Daryl watching over them was a good idea. "I ain't goin' nowhere," he grunted. "Fine. I'll go with ya', c'mon." Maria said sweetly and let her hand touch his side.

If love is about trusting one another then Daryl didn't love Maria. He never trusted her with anything. He always jumped to conclusions before getting the facts.

"I'm sorry Maria. I fucked up." Daryl said while they took a walk around the farm. "Yeah, Daryl ya' did. How could ya' think such a thing? Ye' think I'd cheat on ya'? Haven't we been over this before I'm not leavin' ya'. I don't want them. I want ya'! And ye' still can't trust me?"

It was true. They'd fought over him being jealous for the past month. "I don't know. I trust ya', but not them. No way in hell." Daryl was getting nervous because Maria could see how she rocked back and forth on his feet and played with his thumbs.

"Ye' don't have to trust them. Only me." Maria was sick of playing games with Daryl. He couldn't make up his mind anymore, and when he did it was always the worst possible outcome. "So yer' havin' a baby?" He asked and stepped closer.

Maria held her flat tummy, "I am," Daryl chewed on his thumbnail. "Ye' still want me 'round?"

Maria scoffed, "Do ye' still want me to be yer' wife or did ya' already throw the ring out?" Daryl quickly dug knot his pocket and pulled the ring out. "'Ere," he took her hand gently and slid the ring back on its original place on her finger.

Daryl let her hand go and pulled her face up and kissed her. He craved her now more than anything. She was carrying his child, something they never thought would happen. Placing a hand over her stomach. "How long do I feel it move?" He asked.

"A few months. I'll be showin' before it starts to move." Maria placed her hands over his. "I think it's a boy,"

"Could be a girl," Daryl suggested. "Could be both. One boy and one girl. Twins." Daryl's eyes widened, "don't scare me like that." Maria laughed and wrapped her arms around his neck. "When we gonna' tell the other?" Maria asked and kissed his cheek. "Whenever ye' want,"

Later on that day, Hershel went missing, and Rick and Glenn went out to look for him. "Hopefully they make it back safely," Lori said while making dinner in Hershel's kitchen. Maria was next to Lori, helping her cut the vegetables. The sound of pans hitting the floor caught their attention. "Beth!" Lori called and ran to help her up.

Maria and Lori helped Maggie carry Beth upstairs. "We need daddy, she's burnin' up," Maggie mentioned. "I'm gonna go," Maria said.

She walked quickly back to her and Daryl's camp. She watched him as he took her bags and put them in the tent. "Who said I was movin' back in?" Maria growled and crossed her arms. Daryl's head shot up like a deer in headlight. "I just figured- I'm sorry. I'll put 'em back." He said nervously and went to get the bags.

"Daryl, I was kidding." She laughed. Daryl Dixon was whipped and he knew it. They did makeup, but he was still treading on ice with her. "Right," he nodded like he knew it was a joke.

"Beth's passed out and they need Hershel." She mentioned and sat down on the old pile of bricks. "They want him so bad they can get him themselves," Daryl grumbled.

"Rick and Glenn went to find him a few hours ago." Maria ran a hand through Daryl's hair. "I kinda like this, the long hair." Daryl turned and raised his eyebrows at her seductively. "That right?" He asked and pulled her into his lap. "Yeah." He attached their lips again and led her to the tent.

"I ain't gonna' hurt the baby am?" He didn't know if sex could harm the baby or not. "No, no, no, just don't throw me around." Maria leaned up and kissed his lips again while they fell into the tent.

***********
This chapter was originally longer, but I split it into two parts because the next part is smut.
Please comment, vote, and give me a follow.