Chapter 8: Police

Months passed and Maria didn't know where she stood with Daryl. They shared the same bed and obviously loved each other, yet neither one said it. Maria and Merle have been getting along well. He even took her to school the other day.

It was the weekend and Maria was home alone. There was a knock at the door. She got up from her comfortable seat and opened the door. "Hello, ma'am." It was the police. "Uh...Can I help ya'?" she asked wearily. "Merle Dixon lives here I assume. He has a warrant for his arrest," the cop said. Uh oh! What was she supposed to say? If she said the wrong thing Daryl would get mad. "Maria who's at the door?" Daryl must've come through the back door. He stood behind Maria, seeing the cops. "What ya' want?" he asked. "We're looking for Merle Dixon." Daryl turned to Maria, "Go to the bedroom, I'll be in soon." She slowly walked to their bedroom; taking a seat on the bed.

Maria sat on the bed for what seemed like hours, then the door opened. Daryl stumbled in, rubbing his eyes with the palms of his hands. Maria shot up in bed, "What happened?" The look on his face showed it wasn't good. "They took 'em," he said. "Took him? Like to jail? Why?" Maria had questions that Daryl couldn't answer. "I don't know." He said softly. He was trying so hard to bury his anger, but Maria's continuous questioning wasn't helping. "Daryl what happened?" he turned around, his face red. "Ya' should know, ya' stupid bitch. Ya' probably called 'em 'ere, didn't ya'?" He got in her face, "Didn't ya'?" Maria pressed her hands against his chest and pushed him away from her. "Stop it! Jus' because they took Merle, doesn't mean ya' can be mean to me!" Maria rarely raised her voice at Daryl. Mostly because she was intimidated by him. "Don't ya' yell at me, girl!" Daryl said getting in her face again. "Huh, I bet yer' glad he's gone right?" Maria couldn't take his constant yelling and assumptions anymore. She smacked his chest with her hand, tears were rolling down her face. "Stop doin' this to me." Daryl caught her hands in his and pinned her against the wall. He felt bad for making her cry, and for hurting her, but he couldn't help it. They took his brother again.

He pressed his lips to Maria's, hoping this would calm him down some; and it did. They haven't kissed in months, and they were due for one. He lifted her up by her thighs. Maria felt a sudden flush of lust overcome her. She'd never done this before; with Daryl that is. Daryl released her, "Sorry," Maria leaned against the wall for support, shocked again by another one of his moments. Daryl went to walk away, but stopped and turned back to her. He pulled her up by her wrist and kissed her again. This time with less force. "yer' mine, ya' know that?" Daryl spoke as if he was asking her a question. Maria nodded and wrapped her arms around his waist, hugging him. "I know," she whispered.