⊳twenty-six

◤──•~❉᯽❉~•──◥

◤──•~❉᯽❉~•──◥

chapter twenty-six: unwelcome

◣──•~❉᯽❉~•──◢

Y/n stroked her daughter's dyed hair. Sora's face scrunched up as she shifted on the couch, pulling herself closer to her mother. Her head lay in her lap, a blindfold covering her eyes. Kota was sitting beside Y/n, worriedly looking down at his sister.

"Mama," He said. "Why is Nee-san crying?"

"She just in a little bit of pain, Kota, that's all," She smiled softly. "Why don't you go grab an ice pack from the freezer for her?"

"Okay," He said, placing his toy to the side as he slid off the couch, running past them into the kitchen. "Mama, which one?"

"It doesn't matter," She replied, looking back down at Sora. "How do you feel?"

"...like my head's splitting apart..." She whispered.

"Here, Nee-san," Kota ran back into the living room, holding the icepack and a small towel out to his mother. He climbed back onto the couch as Y/n wrapped the cloth around the icepack, laying it on the back of Sora's neck. She tensed at the sudden cold, before relaxing at the relief it gave. There was a soft knock on the door before it opened.

"We got here as fast as we could," Yuuji said, kicking his shoes off and tossing his coat to the side. He gently touched the side of her face. "Hey, Sora-bug."

She made a sound of acknowledgment. Yuuji frowned at the older woman. Gen walked in after, holding the door open for his father and uncle. They all stopped to take their shoes off before entering the home.

"Hi, Gen," Kota said.

"Hey, buddy," He smiled, beckoning him forward. "You helpin' take care of Sora?"

"Mhm," Kota nodded. "I brought her an ice pack."

"I bet it's helping," He said, sitting down on the floor in front of the ottoman.

"How bad is she?" Satoru asked, taking the seat where Kota once sat.

"Fever, headache, tremors, paranoia—all the side-effects," Y/n said, sighing softly. "But she's manageable."

When Sora heard her father's voice, she began to sit up. She reached up, pulling the blindfold from over her eyes. They were bloodshot, and there was a train from the corner of her eye where the blood had slipped away. She blinked a few times, the air seeming to make them even more sensitive. She turned to look at her father.

"Why did you listen to him?"

Satoru took a deep breath in. He stood up, offering his hands down to her. She took them, allowing her to help him to her feet.