⊳thirty-five

◤──•~❉᯽❉~•──◥

◤──•~❉᯽❉~•──◥

chapter thirty-five: a duel

◣──•~❉᯽❉~•──◢

Sora picked at the healing skin on her arm from her burns. She peeled the skin back, watching it grow red and irritated at her actions. The plate of breakfast in front of her was untouched, the scrambled eggs still steaming hot beside the bacon and sausage.

She looked up when she heard an ashtray clatter to the floor. Marshall cursed under his breath as he bent over, picking the black plastic from the ground. He swept the ashes away with his foot, knocking the rest of it against the trash can.

"What?" The man said. "Too good to eat breakfast?"

Sora looked down at her plate. For some reason, just the thought of eating anything was making her feel sick to her stomach. So she pushed her plate away from her.

"I'm not hungry," She said quietly.

Marshall frowned a bit. "You haven't eaten a single thing since you've been here."

"Why do you care if I eat or not?" She muttered. "I'm just a stupid Japanese foreigner, remember?"

"Your brother is a stupid Japanese foreigner," He clarified, leaning against the counter. "You're just some stupid kid. How old are you? Seventeen? Eighteen?"

"Fifteen," She answered, making him pause.

"You're only fifteen?" He asked after a moment.

"It's what I said, isn't it?" She muttered, bringing her foot onto the chair.

"How old is the little one?" He asked, glancing into the living room. Kota was sitting on the floor, switching between eating his breakfast and playing with some toys.

"Five."

"Holy fuck," He muttered. "You seriously are just...kids."

"Don't call me a kid," She whispered, closing her eyes. "Kids don't get betrayed. Kids don't get separated from their parents. Kids don't run for their lives. Kids don't sit and wonder when's the next time they're going to try and get assassinated. Kids don't kill their friends."

Sora watched Marshall push the food back to her. He sat down at the table, taking the chair across from her. He lit a cigarette.

"You know how to hold a blade?" He asked. Sora nodded. "You wanna learn to fight?"

"You're seriously gonna teach me?" She asked, quirking a skeptical brow.

"I don't teach kids," He said, moving the cigarette away. "And kids don't eat their breakfast."

She glared at him. She stared down at the plate, and after a minute, she picked up the fork. She forced herself to eat half of the plate before she stopped. She looked at the blonde man. He blew smoke from his nose and dug his cigarette into the ashtray.