⊳thirty-one

◤──•~❉᯽❉~•──◥

◤──•~❉᯽❉~•──◥

chapter thirty-one: genetic

warning: heavy themes of paranoia, stalking

◣──•~❉᯽❉~•──◢

"Paranoia is such a strange thing, is it not?"

The voice that filled her thoughts was one that she did not recognize. It pulled her from her sleep, making her immediately rise, awake and alert of everything around her. She sat up, the blankets that had been pulled over her shoulders slipping down into her lap. She flicked her eyes across her dark room.

The only thing she could see were shadows from clothes hanging in her closet, pictures on the wall, and things scattered messily across her desk. She kept looking though, even when she knew there was nothing there. Thinking it had only been her imagination or part of a dream that had scared her awake—(it wouldn't be classified as the first time)—she laid back down in her sheets.

"Do you ever get the feeling that you're...being watched?"

Her eyes shot open. She whipped around in her bed, panic setting in her bones. Her chest began to rise and fall quickly, nervousness seeping into her blood. She was now hyper-aware of everything around her. She could hear the old house crease, the rain still slamming on the roof, and the occasional roll of thunder in the distance. She looked around her. Nothing. She was still alone.

She took a deep, stuttering breath before exhaling. This was all just part of her imagination. She was just shaken up from earlier, that was all. Her mother once told her that the Devil's Eyes had effects that lasted for days after. This was all this was. So she settled back down, determined to sleep the feeling off.

"It all begins when someone loses their ability to break down things rationally."

She scrambled to sit up. This wasn't a dream. This was real. Someone was here.

Her chest heaved up and down with heavy, terrified breaths. Her hands shook as she fumbled off to the side, ripping her phone from the charger. She flashed the light around the room, swallowing hard when she saw nothing. She leaned over the side of the bed, struggling to find the plug for her lamp.

"It's thought to be caused by chemical imbalances in the brain, though some studies have found that it could occur due to stressful or traumatic life events...or even genetics."

Sora touched the base of the lamp, flooding the room with light. Her ragged breathing and thumping of her heart in her ears were the only sounds she could now hear. She swallowed hard, forcing the lump forming in her throat down. Her stomach churned with anxiety. She glanced down at the time.

It was close to 4 AM. It wouldn't be long before the house began to awaken—despite claiming she wasn't a morning person, Y/n was always the first one awake. She started her mornings with a cup of coffee at 5:30, then was joined by Satoru and 6, Sora at 6:30, and Kota around 7:30 to 8. It wasn't long. An hour and a half.