⊳thirty-eight

◤──•~❉᯽❉~•──◥

◤──•~❉᯽❉~•──◥

chapter thirty-eight: opposites attract

◣──•~❉᯽❉~•──◢

Dear Will, Maylee, and Melanie Vance,

         It's to my worst fear that things have come to this. To be honest, I don't even really know what to say. This is all so hard for me to really wrap my head around. It felt like I was thrust into a tornado without any warning sirens. Things happened so quickly.

      I'm sure by now you've been notified as to what happened. I don't know if you were shown the proof tapes or not, but I just want to say this: I'm just as confused as you are. I don't know whatever got into her, why she did this or what her exact reasonings were. Kameyo is her own person, and I can't read her thoughts, though at this point I'd love to know how.

     I don't want to put your family through more than they already are, and I can only imagine the things that are going through your minds. I'm sure this is all really hard for you to comprehend, just as much as it is for me. She was a good kid. I don't understand why she suddenly snapped and did this. It hurts so bad for me, but God, I can't even fathom how you all must feel.

     Kameyo used to be my best friend. She was the one person I confided everything into. I wasn't sure about how I felt when I first met her, but I soon realized that she and I were more alike than we had imagined. And there were things that we did totally different and had totally different opinions on, but you know what they say: opposites attract. That's exactly what we did.

      I know we got into a lot of trouble when we were younger, especially Kameyo. I was too much of a scaredy-cat in middle school to ever stick up for myself. I had a lot of friends, sure, but there were people who really found enjoyment in picking on me. Mostly because of the color of my hair or how sensitive my eyes were. I used to get made fun of about my looks a lot.

      But Kameyo was always there to put an end to it. She was always so brave and never even hesitated to stick up for not just me, but anyone she found in that sort of situation. Kameyo was a hero. She was my hero. She was just that type of person—that natural-born leader.

       There were times when I questions what Fushiguro-sensei was thinking when he assigned me as class rep. I told him then that I thought it should be Kameyo. She knew how to fight. She knew what she was doing, how to do it, and what to do if something went wrong. I didn't.

     Kameyo acted stupid, but she was one of the smartest girls I'd ever seen. It was like she knew everything. She was sweet, too. I miss her. I miss her so bad it hurts.

     But the way we act and think isn't just the only thing that separates us. It hurts to even think about what she did to my classmates. And despite being my best friend, the person I turned to for everything, who saved my ass more times than I can count, I just can't bring myself to forgive her.

     What she has done violates every single human and jujutsu law. And if I'm being honest, I don't give a damn about the stupid laws. Those kids were my friends. My upperclassmen. My mentors. My colleagues. They were just trying to help us. Those people were after me, and they all just wanted to help protect me.

    Because of that, I feel like this is all my fault. In some way, shape, or form, I've somehow corrupted Kameyo. She only did this because of me. She just wanted to protect me. She wanted me to be safe, and she took whatever measures to do it.

     So I'm going to do the same. I'm going to protect her because I love her. I would have gone to the ends of the Earth if that's what it took to keep her safe. And now, there's only one way to do so.

     To save Kameyo, I have to kill her.

    I hope you understand that this isn't what I wanted. I never wanted to hurt her. I never wanted things to come to this. I was hoping she would just turn herself in, but she's just gone and made things worse, just like always. She's always been prone to that.

     I'm writing you this letter because I don't think I could tell you without making a fool out of myself. I know this isn't how you'd like to hear this, but I'm not like her. I'm not confident, and I'm sure as hell not as brave.

    I'm scared, I'll admit that. But this is only because of her. Please try to understand that if things were different, if I hadn't agreed to try and go outside, none of this would have happened. This is my fault. And I take full responsibility.

    The next time you see me, Kameyo will be dead. So then, I want you to take all of your anger out of me. Hell, you could kill me if you wanted to. I wouldn't blame you. I'm taking your child's life. That's the only thing that you can never replace.

    So forgive me for being a coward and not telling you this to your face. The day will come when things turn around, and I just hope that in the end, she goes peacefully. She may be considered a monster now, but deep down, my best friend is still in there.

    I'm truly sorry. I never wanted anyone to lose a child. Not after how I lost my own brother. You have my deepest regrets and my sincerest apologies.

     I hope that one day I'll be able to see her again. The old her.

    Because I loved her too.

 I'm sorry,
Gojo Sora <3

──•~❉᯽❉~•──⊲