⊳thirty-nine

◤──•~❉᯽❉~•──◥

◤──•~❉᯽❉~•──◥

chapter thirty-nine: choices

Warning: mentions of mental disorders

◣──•~❉᯽❉~•──◢

"There's a difference between wanting to do this..."

Sora turned her head to the side. The lenses on the mask focused on the masked man, 'Idenfication Unknown' flashing in the corner of her gaze. He walked to the edge of the building, stepping onto the ledge with her. Her hair blew behind her in the small ponytail it was in, kept away from her face.

Isamu paused for a moment, looking out over the grounds of the school. He took a moment to soak in the view, before turning to where Sora stood, her hands in the pockets of her jacket.

"...and being forced to do this."

"I know," She said, her voice scratchy.

Isamu turned on his heel to face her. "So what is it? Are you doing this willingly, ladybug, or forcefully?"

"I chose to do this," She said. "It was my choice."

"Wrong," He laughed, turning around again. "No one ever get's a choice in this world."

Sora watched, her eyes widening when Isamu turned his back to the edge of the building. She darted toward him when she saw him beginning to tip back. A thin wire shot out from his wrist as he fell, latching onto the edge. Sora jumped after him, making him grab her arm. She gasped as he swung her over the ledge, making her hang over the side. She gripped his arm tightly.

"What the—"

"That, however," He said, craning his neck back to look down at her. "Was a choice. There are different ways of making choices. You know how stupid I am, yet you still dove over to save me. So tell me, ladybug. Is killing Kameyo your way of saving her?"

Sora's grip loosened. Isamu's tightened.

"W-Why are you asking me this?" She whispered. "Why does this matter to you?"

"I'm broken," He stated plainly. "I've killed too many people. Spilled too much blood. I swim in the insanity in my mind. And while there's a lot of people who deserve this, like me, you don't. You shouldn't be swimming in pools of blood."

"W-What's that got to do with this?" She asked, glancing down when she felt herself moving. Isamu lowered her to the ground, turning to drop down as well.

"I'm not letting you end up like me," He stated, retracting the wire from the top of the building. "I kill because I'm mad. I kill because I want revenge. I kill to save myself. You, on the other hand, kill to save others. That is the difference between you and me."