Part 3

June 1917

It was calm. Very calm. We walked along the trench, trying to find their leaders.
I was given nasty looks on the way, but a few of the men were kicked by Nikolai.

Nikolai and I got very close in the time we were on the ship. We talked about our lives, our military experience and our interests outside of work. All the other men got used to me being there, admiring me even. They all became protective of me, fighting each other if someone said anything against me.

We came close to a group of 4 men that stood together in circle.

˝Move out of the way boys. We need to get to your sergeants.˝ Nikolai called out to them and they turned to us.

˝That would be us. Are you the colonel?˝ Said the man with piercing blue eyes.

˝Yes. I'm colonel Nikolai Miranda. This here is Lieutenant Monica Winchester. We came to help.˝ As Nikolai introduced me, I met eyes with one of the men. He had a strong bone structure, a pair of tired grey eyes and a fairly good-looking mustache.
He was well-built, albeit a bit skinny.

I turned away and looked at the other men. The one with blue eyes, was also well-built, but he looked extremely serious. The third was a bit younger-looking than the others, and his face looked much more smug, some would assume he was calm. The fourth looked to be the same age as the second man.

˝Well, I'm sergeant Mayor Thomas Shelby.˝ Said the blue-eyed man.

˝I'm Sergeant Mayor Freddie Thorne.˝ The fourth man said.

˝I'm John Shelby. I serve as cavalry, but I'm Thomas's brother.˝ The youngest-looking one said, and as sergeant Menendez was about to make a comment, i hit him.

˝Try.˝ I stated, narrowing my eyes at him.

˝Sorry, Lieutenant.˝ He cowered back, standing a bit further behind me.

˝And I'm Sergeant Mayor Arthur Shelby. I'm the oldest of the Shelby's.˝ The last man said, his voice was beautiful. Grave and deep, simply beautiful. He kept looking me in the eyes. We stayed in the silent stare-down, until Nikolai spoke.

˝Well, its nice meeting you all. Lieutenant and I decided to step into the battlefield. She will be staying here with the troops until the end.˝ His voice rung out in my ears, startling me from my "trance". I nodded and smiled.

˝I hope we will be able to cooperate. So far, I haven't had any problems.˝ I claimed, with my head held high.

˝I do have hope we will get along just well.˝ Said Arthur Shelby, shaking my hand.

The three sergeants lead me to where they stayed, telling me all that they had planned on the way there. I properly introduced myself as well on the way, the men doing the same. Turns out, all three Shelby's were brothers, and sergeant Thorne was a childhood friend. No one commented on me being a women, which I was very thankful for. At least, until John finally spoke.

˝I hope this doesn't offend you, but what is a woman doing in the army? I mean, nurses are women, but in the army, as a Lieutenant?˝ He asked, his voice showing no mockery. Just pure curiosity.

˝Well! Let's start at the begging. I was raised by a Ukrainian mother on a farm. I worked hard on the farm, carrying wood, bricks... Everything really. My father was a Sergeant Mayor and I followed in his footsteps. I joined the US navy, and slowly raised in rank. So, I ended up here. In a different country, in the middle of a battle field, as an American Lieutenant and the only woman in the navy.˝ I explained.

˝The only woman?! Like, the only one ever?! Are you the first one ever?!˝ Screamed Freddie.

˝First one, but i think some others have started enlisting recently.˝ I said, almost completely unfazed.

˝You are too calm. How can you be so calm?! You are the first woman in the military!˝ This time it was John who borderline screamed in my face.

˝I feel that us women are very underestimated. For me, this isn't that big of an achievement. I was trained since I was a kid.˝ I said, sitting down in the trench and looking up at the men. I pulled out a box of cigarettes and offered it to the men.
˝Cigarette anyone?˝ Freddie, John and Thomas took the offer, but Arthur declined.

˝No, thank you. I only smoke cigars.˝ He waved his hand and sat down.

˝Oh, you are refined gentleman.˝ I huffed, pulling a smoke from my cigarette.

˝Huh, I guess. And I don't recognize the brand "Marlboro"?˝ He asked.

˝Oh, I don't know the brand either, my general left it for us. I did bring a whole stash with me.˝ I laughed. He shook his head with a quiet laugh.

˝A whole stash, you say? She just might become my favorite person here!˝ Said John with a loud laugh.

˝I wouldn't complain!˝ I laughed as well.