chapter 9

Amora's pov

Mabel finishes bringing us all of our linens and we make our beds before taking turns showering.

Once everyone else is finished, I grab my backpack and a towel and make my way to the shower.

I lock the door behind me before turning the water on.

I strip myself of all my clothes and remove the wrap around my waist.

Hot water! I squeal in excitement.

I haven't showered in like 4 days, I hate being dirty.

I grab a washcloth that Mabel provided us with. I cover it in soap then I scrub and wash away all the dirt, blood, and grime that covers my body.

I grab the shampoo and drizzle it into my hair.

I massage my scalp and rinse it out.

I stand still under the hot water, thinking about my life's turn of events.

I've never had to struggle like this before, constantly trying to survive.

I mean, of course, I've had it rough, I know suffering better than anyone. But, trying to fight zombies, and keep myself- and Emi safe...I don't know, this is just a lot on my plate.

I turn the water off and grab my towel. I exit the shower and dry myself off.

I wring all the water out of my hair and work the rest of the water out with the towel, before hanging the towel behind the door.

I reach into my bag and pull out my products and line them up on the sink.

I lean over and wipe off the fog on the mirror

I take a deep look at myself.

I'm covered in small bruises, my thick frame looks thinner, and my eyes look sunken in.

It has only been four days and I look completely different than the usual me I know.

I shake my head before grabbing my lotion and applying it.

I pull out another slim tight cropped t-shirt and pair it with oversized blue jeans. (imagine the jeans like REALLY oversized-but still cute)

I turn back to the mirror and use my comb to part my hair, then I brush through my hair with my fingers, before placing my bangs back into place.

I place my things back in my bag before opening the door and exiting.

I walk back into the second room, placing my things on the floor, and picking up my white sneakers up before putting them back on over my socks

I stand up to leave, and realize the rooms are all empty

where is everyone?

I walk down the stairs into the foyer and peek my head into the kitchen.

I look over the chairs at the counter, and to the large dining table.

Not a single person. I walk into the kitchen and pick up a biscuit off of a tray on the counter.

I overhear speaking from outside

I take a chunk out of my biscuit and open the back door when I see everyone standing side by side.

I walk out and stand next to Emi

we all face forward as Mabel stands in front of us with her back to us pointing at certain things in the yard.

she turns back to look at us

"OH!, Amora, you are just in time for my speech. If yall are gonna be staying here, you're gonna need to pull your own weight. to our left, we have our peaches and corn, next we have our barn, then our table right over there is where we wash and clean our produce, last we have our gates, that are constantly breaking and constantly need to be fixed." she finishes her tour and turns back to us