Chapter 24

Amora's pov
I take in Jenny's words. I know I can help people, but I'm not some science experiment.
"Jen, you don't know what I went through because of them."
I bare my teeth.
"Hey, hey, I know that they treated you badly, but you have a chance to make a cure-" she starts but I look away not liking the weight of the pressure she's putting on my shoulder.
She moves back in-front of me preventing me from looking away.
"No one is going to force you to do anything you don't want to do, but just weigh your options at least, okay?" Her gaze softens on me.
I nod in response and turn to Allister. I keep my gaze down not looking at him.
I feel embarrassed, no, exposed. This should be an easy choice, and yet I have no idea what to do.
" I'm tired, I want to lay down." I say without looking up.
I can feel his gaze in my head. He shifts his stance before saying
"Okay Everyone, let's go-" he begins
"Oh my, you all must be exhausted, Let me show you all to the resting area." My mother cuts in before leading us in through the hospital.
The floor is covered in families huddled together, and the hallways are filled with patients on hospital beds.
"The hospital is set up by wings, here in the north wing we hold most of our patients, in the east wing we have our MRI machines, X-rays, and our dialysis machines, in the south wing we host the the soldiers and many of our doctors , and in the west wing we have our surgery units, along with our science labs, and finally in the center of our building we have our cafeteria, where we are currently only serving breakfast and dinner."
I take in the grand hospital, most of the lights are flickering, and we pass over the occasional broken window, but overall, it's still in great shape.
We begin to pass through the cafeteria when I spot a small family, the father sits across from his son making funny faces as his wife tries to feed him a scoop of what I Assume is military rations, the child bursts into laughter as he swallows another spoon.
Without realizing it, A smile comes to my face. But that happiness soon morphs into a bittersweet feeling.
A child shouldn't have to live through this, no one should.

If I had the chance to save everyone, wouldn't I?

I hadn't realized that I had stop walking until Allister places his large hand on the small of my back to guide me forward.
I look forward and continue walking. We make it through the cafeteria and into what I assume is the south wing
" you all will be staying her in the south wing with us." My mother says as she pushes open the two final door, walking through.
She walks past multiple open rooms, filled with sleeping bags, uniform coats, and guns.
"The soldiers stay on the first floor, since the exits are all down here, it's easier for them to get outside if something were to happen." She makes here way up the stairs.
"Since we are only running on generators for power, we try to save energy anywhere we can, so the elevators don't work, and we only use the four bottom floors, since the air conditioning is off it gets extremely hot up there." My father says
We make it past the second floor and up to the third floor where she stops at two rooms nearest to the stairs.
"And this will be your rooms,Boys, will you be staying up here, or downstairs with the rest of the soldiers?" My mother asks
"Well we haven't decided yet." Dante and Allister look at each other.
" well then if you stay up here, the room infront of theirs is all yours,
we usually stay down the hall or you can find us in one of the science labs. I'll let you all get settled. I'll see you later Amora." She holds my chin and I quickly turn away. She takes that as her sign to go.
My father stops infront of me,
His lips open and close as he looks me in my eyes "I jus-" he stops before looking down, then
He quickly scurry's away after muttering a quiet " I am sorry."
I'm left stunned, it wasn't much, not even a full heartfelt apology,
but now my chest hurts,
my mouth feels dry,
and if I even attempted to blink right now I'm sure a tear would fall down my cheek.
I can feel the stares from the people in-front of me.
Without so much as a warning my body turns away and I enter the empty room.
As if on Auto pilot, I roll out the sleeping bag on the floor I remove my book bag and crawl into the sleeping bag. I cover my head and squeeze my eyes shut.
I open them again as I hear the rustling of my friends as they whisper what to do, then I hear a door close.

Good, they left. I close my eyes and let the one stray tear run. This is all they get.
They aren't worth my sadness, I wipe the tear away before closing my eyes. I take a breath in and out before darkness consumes me.