Twenty

A/N: So, welcome to chapter 20 of the Dissonant Notes of Fate. If you like it, you know what to do. Happy reading.

LUKE heard a gasp of shock come from behind him. He knew that it was from the huntress, who was also staring up at Thalia and Annabeth with surprise. Luke continued to stare, unblinkingly, at the girls he had once called his best friends. Annabeth was frowning, and Thalia...Thalia's face was blank, expressionless, as she looked down on them. She looked nothing like the girl he had met three years ago in Connecticut.

Luke glanced away and met Annabeth's eyes. The daughter of Athena smiled, coldly. She, like Thalia, was wearing camo pants, a white tee and a bronze breastplate. Next to them sat the largest giant he had ever seen. The monster must have been about fifteen feet tall, wide and huge. He wore only a loincloth, and his skin was dark and tattooed with blue wave designs. Skulls adorned the arena and almost everywhere around them was littered with bones. In the centre, hanging from more bones, was a flag, sea green in colour, with a trident on it. Poseidon's mark.

There was a scream from the arena, and Luke jumped back as the centaur crashed to the dirt beside him. He looked down, and in the centaur's place, he saw Chiron, groaning out, "Help." The demigod blinked and his mentor was replaced by the actual centaur—a brown haired one. Wincing, he reached for his sword. But it had been taken from him.

The centaur struggled to rise and the giant ambled forward, gripping its javelin. A hand with long nails—talons—clasped Luke's shoulder. A dracaena. Luke barely heard as she told him not to interfere. His eyes had moved back to Thalia, who was still seated next to Annabeth, emotionless. No, he thought. She had to be under some sort of spell. She was being controlled. Thalia would never side with Kronos, no matter what she was promised.

Luke turned back to the battle raging before him. The centaur couldn't stand. His right leg was broken and the giant placed a huge foot on the half-man's chest. He raised his weapon, and looked up at Annabeth. The crowd cheered, "DEATH! DEATH!"

Annabeth didn't react, but the giant beside her smiled down at the centaur, rising. He held out a hand and gave the thumbs down sign. The centaur was moaning and pleading for his life. But no one cared. Luke shut his eyes as the giant thrust his javelin through the horseman's chest. When they flickered open again, the centaur was gone, and in his place were yellow ashes.

The crowd roared their approval. A gate opened at the other end of the arena and the giant lumbered away.

"Good entertainment!" The other giant in the loincloth said. "But nothing i have not seen before. What else do you have to show me, daughter of Athena?" Annabeth's jaw clenched and a flicker of annoyance passed through her eyes. She rose to her feet, and stood.

"Lord Antaeus," she called, loud enough for everyone to hear. "You have been an excellent host! We would be happy to amuse you, to repay the favour of passing through your territory."

"A favour I have not yet granted," Antaeus snarled. "I want entertainment!"

Annabeth bowed, although she looked as stiff as a board. "I believe I have something which will certainly entertain you." She stood, turning to face Luke. "Before you stands the eldest son of Hermes alive, Luke Castellan." Luke gritted his teeth. He hated having his last name thrown about. Annabeth knew that, yet she continued. "He used to be best friends with Thalia Grace and I—"

"And how is that going to benefit me?" Antaeus sneered.

"Patience," Annabeth said, a vein appearing on her forehead. She faced Luke again. "I give you a choice, Luke. All the people you care about are on this side. You are either with Thalia and I, or against us."