Twenty-six

THALIA didn't know where Nico had gotten a cell phone (or so much money) from, but the son of Hades had one, and she wasn't going to question it. As she left the Underworld through the same way she'd come, her hands had tightly gripped the piece of technology, knowing she was calling all the monsters within a fifty-mile radius to her.

She hailed a cab, and soon was on her way to the Empire State Building (she was going to pay with Nico's money, of course). And then she'd called Luke—he'd gotten one of the phones within the last year, when he'd started flirting with Rachel (read, Rachel had used her own money to buy one for him, so they could stay in contact when he was at Camp).

Luke answered on the second ring, and he spoke harshly into his phone when he heard her voice. "Where the bloody Hades have you been?"

"It's nice to hear from you too, Castellan," she replied, dryly, rolling her eyes.

"You don't just disappear into a forest with Nico di Angelo, Thalia," He sounded genuinely concerned, and Thalia winced. She'd told him she would be right back, and then hadn't showed for the better part of two days. Well, a day and a half.

Thalia wasn't really sure he was totally over her. His reaction made sure, as he continued, "We're in the middle of a war."

"I'm sorry, I know," She breathed. "I'll tell you about it when you get here."

"Get where?" Luke inquired, confusion evident in his voice.

"That's what I called about," She was whispering, so the cabbie didn't overhear. "I'm ready, Luke. It's time to get this war started. Rally the others, get to the Empire State Building now, please."

Luke huffed out a laugh. When she didn't join him he cursed, and said, "You're serious?"

"We're in the middle of the war, Luke," She used his own words against him. "I hardly think this is the time for jokes."

"You have a plan?"

"I know this might come as a surprise to you, but yes," She replied, glancing out of the window.

"We can't leave Camp undefended," Luke argued. "And there's no way the gods—"

"Luke," she said his name softly. Her heart was thumping, but she knew she was making the right call. They couldn't keep on waiting for Annabeth to make the first move. It was time to act. "Trust me," She said, voice heavy with emotion. "We have to do this." Luke was silent on the other end of the phone. "See you there?"

He sighed, and his frustration was visible as he said, "You will." Thalia smiled grimly at the response. She was about to hang up, but then he said, "Thalia...try to stay alive. At least until I get there."

Without waiting for a response, he ended the call.

XMX

HER hands were trembling by the time the cab pulled to a stop. Thalia paid, and got out hesitantly, eyes roving across fifth avenue for the others. Her shoulders sagged and she visibly relaxed when she saw the three white vans pulling up at the curb. The cab she'd taken moved away from her.

The sides of the vans were inscribed in red, with the words Delphi Strawberry Services, which was the cover name for Camp Half-Blood. The first van was driven by Argus (Who sat at the front with two harpies), the second by Luke, and the third by Charlie. The doors slid open, and teenagers spilled out, heads swivelling, voices tight with excitement and anxiety. She did a head count.

Fifty campers in total. Thalia saw Silena, and Pollux and Castor, Travis and Connor, Michael Yew, Jake Mason, Katie Gardener, Lou Ellen Blackstone. Every cabin was present, except for Athena and Aphrodite. And Ares. Thalia bit her lip, brow creasing. The Ares cabin were their best fighters...