Twenty-four

Thanks to nexTime on discord for editing.

THALIA adjusted her backpack over her shoulder, pursing her lips. Her eyes flickered across the entire expanse of what was Camp Half-Blood, which had almost been destroyed just a year ago.

Beside her, Beckendorf alighted from Guido the pegasus and patted its flank. He turned back to Thalia, a ghost of a smile gracing his face. He looked spooked, which was quite the right reaction to have. They'd almost failed their mission. It had been a trap.

"Come on," she told him. "They'll be waiting." It was nearing seven pm, and although dinner would be over by now, the Campers would still be waiting for news about the mission.

Thalia vaguely wondered what would have happened had Beckendorf returned without her, or if it had been the other way round. She shook her head to clear the despondent thoughts and continued walking. The daughter of Zeus heard an excited cry she recognised as Connor Stoll's, and then the sound of a conch horn.

The camp seemed to surge to life, with demigods appearing from what seemed like thin air. Thalia grimaced at the attention they were about to receive, and steeled her nerves as the campers swarmed around them.

Her eyes roamed the gathering, searching for her blond-haired friend, and when she spotted him and Chiron both shouldering through the crowd to get to her, she visibly relaxed. Luke's eyes found Beckendorf and his shoulders seemed to lose some of the tension in them as he came to a stop in front of them.

"So..." Connor spoke, eyes wide.

Thalia inhaled. "We were caught." She glanced around for the third time, trying to gauge if anyone looked guilty or put off by the fact they had returned. She saw no such expression. Thalia turned back to the others, whose looks of joy at their return were slowly slipping.

"But," Beck continued. "We blew up the ship. Thanks to Zeus' help."

Chiron looked honestly confused. "Your father assisted you?" Thalia nodded. She knew direct interference was prohibited and there would be some repercussions, even for her dad. But he had saved her life and that was what mattered.

"You need to call a war council," she told the old centaur. "We have a lot to discuss."

"That, we do." A grave expression found a home on Chiron's face. Thalia glanced at Luke for an explanation, but his face had closed off again, and he wouldn't meet her eyes. She turned back to Chiron, who sighed in what seemed like acceptance.

"The gods have sent word, Thalia," he breathed. "It is time you heard the entire great prophecy."

-X-

THALIA pursed her lips as she and Luke ascended the steps to the attic. If she was counting correctly, she had been up here about twice already. She turned to look at the centaur at the foot of the steps, but his eyes were on the son of Hermes at her side.

"You know where it is," he nodded to Luke. Luke bobbed his head in response and motioned for Thalia to follow him. Surprise, and slowly anger, was filling her as they walked, and she reached out to grab his shoulder.

"You've heard the prophecy?" He didn't meet her eyes.

"A few years ago," he nodded. "With Annabeth."

"And you didn't think it was necessary to tell me?" Thalia hissed.

"Chiron didn't think you were ready," he told her, pushing open the trapdoor, which led into the attic. The black-haired girl followed as he went through.

"Chiron wouldn't think I was ready if the gods hadn't demanded it," she snarled.

"Thalia—" Luke spun to face her. "If it was my own choice, you'd never hear this prophecy or even be a part of it. But I can't stop you now, because Kronos is getting closer, and you need to know if we're all going to survive this."