Chapter 1

Music blared in Casey's ears, as she entered the prison-like entrance that led to her new school. She looked out of place in her ripped up Converse, stepping in time to the music as she walked up the stairs. Her untamed, black hair was pulled into a braid, hair jutted out in every direction, as if she had slept on it, earning glances from the other teenagers. Her simple black band shirt and jean shorts seemed to give her an aura of a delinquent.  

She pushed through the crowd as a petite blonde bumped into Casey's shoulder. 

"Watch it." Casey spat not bothering to apologize. The blonde simply tucked her head and turned to continue on her way. 

Casey opened the door for her first class as the bell rang. She found the closest seat to the back and let her backpack slide to the ground. Even though class had begun, she continued to take her time in removing the headphones from her ears. She could feel the eyes of everyone watching her and she tried not to mind. It was something she was used to, being the new girl, and she realized it helped to not care what other people thought. So when the teacher called out her name, it seemed as if she hadn't a care in the world. 

"Casey Blackwell?" The man in the front of the class asked. 

"That's me." Her almost stimulating voice spoke. 

"So I realize this is your first day and you have a lot to catch up on. If you could meet me after class I can give you some of the assignments you have missed." He said and she plastered on a fake smile. 

"Sure." She rolled her eyes and took out her notebook as he began to teach. 

The first three classes seemed to drag on, especially since she hadn't found anyone remotely interesting. The only class that seemed to catch her attention was art class. The teacher was an older lady who wore hippie clothing and talked dynamically with her hands. Casey became instantly alert as she started discussing the oncoming projects. 

"Class the first assignment is to go out into the world and take pictures of the world around you and create an art piece dedicated to it. You can make a mini recreation or a scrapbook or whatever you wish." Ms. Walsh continued explaining the qualifications and Casey tuned out until she heard the dreaded words, "Split up into partners and you can begin discussing the project." 

Casey felt ostracized as people began calling out people's names from across the room. She detested this infamous part of being new, not having anyone call out her name, and being casted aside as a loner. She put on her expressionless façade and began sketching on the front of her binder. She didn't bother looking up when a body plumped down in the seat next to hers, but instead shifted a hair to the left instead and continued drawing. 

"You're good." A male voice made her head snap up to look at him. "Ethan. And you are?" 

"Casey." She said before letting her eyes wander down to her notebook. 

"Well Casey, it looks like we are one in the same. The leftovers. The unwanted and feared." He said hitting the desk as if it was a drum. 

"Oh, so I am unwanted. Sounds like you're a real charmer." Casey rolled her eyes, her sarcastic nature coming out. 

"That's not what I meant. Besides, I think you're kinda hott so..." Ethan shrugged and Casey rolled her eyes. 

"Good to know." Casey sighed. "Not too bad yourself." 

Silenced seemed to envelope them as Casey went back to her doodling and Ethan just watched her. 

"You wanna get out of here?" Ethan asked suddenly and Casey smirked looking up to meet his blue eyes. 

"Best idea I've heard all day." Casey's brown-green eyes sparkled with interest. 

"Watch and learn my lady." Ethan said standing and going over to Ms. Walsh's desk. 

Casey smirked as she watched her 'friend' talk animatedly to the teacher about some wild idea he had that he wanted to go look at outside, something about testing it out so that when it gets dark the two of them could do it more successfully. Casey had to hold in a giggle as Ms. Walsh looked her way for confirmation, to which Casey nodded enthusiastically. With a nod from the older lady Ethan turned around and grabbed Casey's hand, her other barely having enough time to grab her backpack. 

It wasn't until they had scaled the back fence that giggles escaped her lips. Ethan still had her in tow and the two teenagers ran, stumbling through the shrubbery behind the school, until they came to a fence overlooking the wash. Below were other kids with more of an appealing nature to Casey than the ones that went to Walkden High. She shrugged the bag off her shoulders and threw it over the chain-link fence before quickly scaling it with a boost from Ethan, who ascended over it in no time at all. 

Landing with a thud Casey claimed her backpack and followed Ethan as they skirted to the bottom of the oversized drain. There were boys skateboarding and girls flirting. Reminisce of smoke from tobacco and weed hung in the air. A couple cases of beer were scattered around the larger group to the left. Casey could see the invisible line between the two groups. She didn't question it too much because she saw kids going from one group to the other. 

"Everyone this is Casey, Casey this is everyone." Ethan's lame attempt at introductions brought a smirk to her lips. 

"Wanna smoke?" A super grungy boy asked as she sat down on one of the crates. 

"No, thanks." Casey shrugged him away. 

"Why?" He laughed. "You a pussy or something?" 

"No, I just don't do that." Casey shrugged again. 

"Whatever." He rolled his eyes and walked away. 

After an hour or so of just hanging out Casey began to get bored with being the new girl, so she did what she did best. 

"Guys any of you know how to tag?" She voiced 

Casey had the sort of voice that captures people's attention. That husky, racy yet easy-going, syrupy and intriguing sound that just makes you want to listen and do whatever she suggest. 

"What? Come on its super fun!" 

Casey unzipped her backpack yand pulled out the mini cans of spray paint. 

"Now I'll show you how to have fun." Casey smirked knowing she had everyone's attention now. 

That's more like it. She thought to herself.