Chapter 5

Casey walked through the school yard toward her english class, acutely aware of the stares she received. It was empowering to have people recognise her, even if some of them were disgusted by her reputation; she wasn't oblivious to her new found enemies since the party a week ago.

The sun shone down on the black haired girl in her tattered converse and torn jean shorts. Frays of fabric spewed out at the ends and a small whole could be detected on her left front pocket. Her black tank hung low, showing the top lace of her red bra and aged sweater hung loosely on her shoulders. Due to hitting her alarm for the umpteenth time that morning, she had shoved her unruly bed head into a black knit beanie. To anyone else they wouldn't have dubbed her as slutty but rather, an artist or slight rebel. If it had not been for her grand entrance at the party, she would have gone unknown in the school.

Her earphones positioned in their usual place, she didn't hear Ethan's voice calling her name from across the campus; not that she would have responded had she heard him. He had been awkwardly clingy since the party. Even after she had told him it was simply a one time thing he had remained stable in his problematic need to be with her.

Casey found Ethan attractive enough, unfortunately for Ethan, she was never interested in the suffocating emotions that came along with relationships. Feelings were not something Casey found herself ever being hung up on. They were a waist of energy and time. Over the course of the beginning of her adolescence she had done away with anything that attached her to another person emotionally, and she doubted it would ever be something she was good at.

Opening the door Casey walked into her English class taking the usual seat toward the back. She pulled out her notebook, now covered in sketches and doodles, a pen, and The Grapes of Wrath, before sitting back against the hard plastic of the school seat. A tap on her shoulder caused her to pull out her left earbud and turn around to face the girl behind her.

"Casey, right?" The pretty, light-skinned blonde sitting behind her asked. Casey recognised her from the party.

"Yeah," Casey said slowly. "You're Reina?"

"That's me, I was wondering if you had finished the chapter we had to read? I am a tad confused on what the figurative language was..." Reina asked, her cheeks blushing.

"Oh yeah...I read it, here are my notes." Casey flipped through her notebook until she came to the page filled with highlighted page numbers.

"Thank you so much!" Reina smiled showing a row of perfect teeth.

"No problem." Casey shrugged before turning back around.

She unplugged her headphones and stuffed them into her bag. A nagging thought crossed her mind and she hesitated before turning back around to Reina. She pursed her lips thinking how to delve into the subject of the mystery boy. She mentally corrected herself realising that the curly haired male was more of a man than a boy.

"Reina? Can I ask you something?" Casey waited as Reina looked up encouragingly.

"Of course!" Reina stopped copying what Casey had wrote down the night before.

"There was a guy, at the party Saturday? He looked about six foot, curly hair, and these vibrantly green eyes....do you know anything about him?" Casey fiddled with her hands not wanting to meet the girls eyes.

" Harry? Yeah I know about him. Why?" Reina raised her eyes.

"Oh well I never was introduced to him but I just wondered what his deal was...." Casey said vaguely.

"Really? Huh....I'm surprised you didn't meet him at the rate you were going." Reina winked joking good-naturally. "I don't know much except that he is bad news. Just got out of jail."