Chapter 11

Flecks of stardust winked through the deep shades of blue that blanketed the sky. The wooden steps creaked below Casey’s feet as Harry offered out a hand and signaled her to go ahead of him. Casey’s insides fluttered as he reached a muscular arm past her and rang the doorbell. Her thoughts were racing at a million miles a minute but she composed herself so that she appeared calm and ready.

“Are there going to be any revengeful ex-girlfriends that will over analyze us showing up together?” Casey mused.

“Yeah I think number sixteen and twenty-one are in there if I am not mistaken.” Harry chuckled. His wittiness caught her off guard, earning a gasp quickly followed by wide eyes as her laughter echoed through the night sky. She nudged him playfully as the door opened giggles still spilling from her lips.

“Am I interrupting something?” Travis questioned a smirk playing on his lips. Casey’s head whipped towards the lanky figure leaning against the door jam, arms folded across his chest.

“Oh nothing to worry about Travis, just preparing her for potential acts of revenge by numbers sixteen through twenty-one.” Harry explained looking over at Casey with a grin.

Travis’ eyebrows furrowed in confusion as he watched Casey bring a hand to her face and burst out into another fit of laughter.

“Would you quit that?” Casey managed between giggles, lightheartedly punching him in the arm.

“Oh no no, I am just looking out for you.” Harry put his hands up dramatically taking a step inside.

Casey followed behind him, hiccups of laughter still escaping her. A light grasp on her arm stopped her from entering further. She turned around to face Travis who was staring at her with scrutinizing eyes. His countenances vaguely reminded her of her sudden softness toward the people surrounding her and the dangers that came along with it. Her stomach dropped as she realized she had let her guard down for only a brief moment.

“What the hell was that?” Travis asked joking lightly.

“What are you talking about?” Casey wiped the smile off her face, well aware of what he meant.

“That little display out there?” Travis probed.

“I don’t know what the hell you are talking about.” Her face contorted into an unpleasant frown as she moved to go around him.

“Oh there was something there.” Travis stepped in front of her, amusement evident in his voice.

“I said there was nothing, so back off Travis.” Casey said annoyed.

“Okay, okay, I am just saying that if you did like him…..” Travis stopped his train of thought. “…Never mind.”

“No, please, continue in your ‘oh bright words of wisdom.’” Casey rolled her eyes and folded her hands over her chest.

“I just think you might be good for him that’s all.” Travis put his hands up as a sign of surrender.

“Oh and maybe pigs will sprout wings and start flying around this town.” Casey pushed past him.

Casey scoffed to herself at the idea of even remotely being romantically involved with the other boy. A charity case was not in her agenda and Travis had no right to overly analyze the situation he had only briefly witnessed. She walked toward the kitchen, semi familiar with the layout since the last time she had been there. Gasping two bottles of beer, Harry routinely set them on the counter to open them.

“You want me to grab-“Harry expertly opened the bottles with his long slender fingers interrupting her sentence, “….okay then.”

He chuckled handing her one of the bottles and she watched as he opened his, his muscles flexing slightly and then releasing as the unmistakable sound of the cap leaving the glass was heard. She had never noticed how chiseled his physique was. Catching herself starring she blushed slightly praying he had not witnessed her admiring him.