Chapter 2

"You're all set to go, Harry," the nasally voice of the woman behind the glass rang through the air. She scuffled through a set of legal documentation that dismissed Harry from parole. Before going over to the copy machine, she took a large stamp and dipped it in red ink, then slammed it down forcefully on the stack of papers in front of her. Harry's eyes darted to the stamp as he made out the big, bold letters spelling out APPROVED. 

The stout woman adjusted the worsted around her neck and proceeded to the copy machine, punching a few buttons. White flits protruded from the loud machine and fell in a tray below. Her size put up a bit of a struggle as she strained to bend down and retrieve them. 

"Here you are," she said, sniffing lightly as she slipped Harry the papers underneath the slit between the glass window that separated them. They were still warm in his hands. "Stay out of trouble, you hear? I don't want to see you around here again." Her words somewhat of an encouragement as Harry waved her off and exited the buildings. 

The sunlight was hot against his face, but still he adjusted the hood of his grey zip up further on his head. Cars whizzed past him without a second glance, almost as if he was invisible. He was used to it though; he had gone his whole life feeling this way. Even in his moments of solitude, it never bothered him. Being alone was his second nature. 

He squinted as the little red hand across from him turned into an iridescent cartoonic person, signaling him to go on. One foot fell in front of the other as he trudged across the street, his papers approving his freedom had been folded neatly and jammed inside his back pocket. 

He walked for what felt like miles before reaching a park where he decided to take a break. There was a bench near the playground but he quickly rethought his decision to make his way over there when high pitched squeals of children being chased by their parents filled the air. He stood there, hands in his pockets as he observed the spectacle. A little girl in a sundress ran to what Harry assumed to be her father. She giggled and screeched as she bound towards him, leaping into his arms and wrapping her tiny hands around the back of his neck. Her father gave her a tender kiss before flinging her upwards so that she rested firmly atop his shoulders. He was met by another lean woman at his side; the mother. 

Harry shuddered and forced himself to look away from the ideal family that stood before him. Without thinking twice, he turned and made a beeline for the patch of shade over casted by the tree. He shrugged his sweater off and bundled it up into a pillow-like mound before tossing it to the ground. He bent down before lying flat on his back, resting a heavy head on his makeshift pillow. 

His weary eyes began to shut and all traces of the world around him became a noiseless blur, tiny blades of grass penetrating his skin. He was almost fully subdued into a deep slumber before a familiar voice yanked him from his reverie. 

"Harry freaking Styles, is that you?" A lanky blonde called out, nearly running to meet his target. "Where the hell have you been, bro?" 

"Hey, Travis," Harry said, his voice rough. He propped himself up on his elbows and looked at his friend who had taken a seat next to him on the grass. 

"You have missed out on so much, dude," Travis began, raving about all the adventures he was having while Harry was incarcerated. Travis was a skinny, blonde guy of about nineteen years old, just like Harry. Seeing Harry for the first time in months was like walking down on Christmas morning for Travis, he was his only friend. Travis was that kid that you'd see hanging around by himself in the halls at lunch while everyone else mused in their own little worlds around him. An accidental encounter in one of these hallways freshmen year bound Harry and Travis together, and they had been close ever since.